Like Tree6Likes

Waiting time when calling a bank

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waiting time when calling a bank

I just called the "hotline" at BOCHK, and I had to wait 21.35 minutes before someone answered.

Hong Kong banks are really a fucking joke. Not only you can't trade in any other country (apart from China and USA for some banks), but they don't even bother answering a "hotline".

What is your record of waiting for someone to answer a "hotline"?

You do realise that businesses are not operating exactly as normal these days, right? And that demand for phone banking services vs counter services has probably gone up a lot.

Can you give a rough estimation of how much money you have actually let BOCHK earned from you ? (i.e. in their terms, the 'wallet').. minus the cost of maintaining the infrastructure to answer your phone within 20minutes.. then you can judge if that's a good deal..

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Can you give a rough estimation of how much money you have actually let BOCHK earned from you ? (i.e. in their terms, the 'wallet').. minus the cost of maintaining the infrastructure to answer your phone within 20minutes.. then you can judge if that's a good deal..
    Many many thousands of dollars over the years. What is the salary of someone answering the phone? My rough estimate is about $100 an hour. They can hire another 10 people to answer the phone, instead of making people waste their time!

Ask them to assign you a RM that can answer your phone..

jgl likes this.

I called up HSBC last week as I couldnt find my security dongle, kept waiting to talk to a human and i finally gave up around 25 mins, luckily i put it on speaker phone and kept doing my work at home.

Ps i found my dongle so it was good I couldnt get through or they would have cancelled it I think.

Have you tried logging in online banking on your PC and using the online chat function? Immediate response to my query whether a marketing call was from them.

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    I just called the "hotline" at BOCHK, and I had to wait 21.35 minutes before someone answered.

Hong Kong banks are really a fucking joke. Not only you can't trade in any other country (apart from China and USA for some banks), but they don't even bother answering a "hotline".

What is your record of waiting for someone to answer a "hotline"?
    After almost a decade here, I have perfected how to get a person on the phone in as little time as possible. The secret is never press any buttons when given a set of options and always pick report a lost or stolen credit card.

I love my ‘First Direct’ bank in the UK (owned by HSBC)

Usually answer the phone within the first few rings. Straight through to a real person, no menus to navigate. Staffed by local UK people not a call centre in a India or the like.....and it’s free!

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian:
    Have you tried logging in online banking on your PC and using the online chat function? Immediate response to my query whether a marketing call was from them.
    Yes, that's what I did, while waiting for the guy to answer the phone. It wasn't immediate, but definitely much faster. I still waited for the guy to answer the phone, to check how long I had to wait, and for telling the guy that their hotline was "a fucking joke" (I think that's the words I used.

I still wonder why they can't hire more people to answer the phone. I guess online chat is "manned" by AI?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast