Like Tree31Likes

Aggressive dog Issue!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If the dog bit two people before he should be put down. Are they waiting for a kid to get mauled. Of course it's a village so the law doesn't apply there.

Surprised the local villagers haven’t sorted the problem out before now. There is an often used solution employed in these situations, or at least there is around our village. That it hasn’t been sorted suggests to me that the business owner is not someone the locals wish to mess with.

Good luck! When is your lease up?

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:
    I don't think hitting it is the solution, it might attack you even more and as you say it could be fatal

It has gotten to that stage where you need to protect your family. I would just find out where you could get a tranquilliser gun and then take it from there
    Two things with the tranquiliser gun:

1. You need the right dose for the dog size
    2. You need to know how to shoot when the dog could be on one of your kids. Not easy

I think you need to hit the dog. Dogs quickly understand their place. May take a few times for really stubborn alphas who have been at the top of their homes for a long time though.

Also, dogs that aren't disciplined can be a real nuisance in public spaces. Usually one can tell a bad dog owner. Their kids are the same too LOL

I wouldn't get that close to a dog to hit it, I would strictly keep a safe distance and hence the tranquilliser gun. And if you try to hit it, you could very easily put yourself in grave danger.

I have lived in villages a long time and often face dogs when out walking. Village dogs are generally all bluster and make a lot of noise, dash up and bark loudly. It's why people keep them here! I have only ever had a problem when they have gone for my own dog.

Some things I do depending on the situation:
    - keep walking and ignore them
    - talk to them
    - stop and face them let them bark, they normally just give up
    - shout 'Hey!' and step forward, they usually barker louder but back off
    - pretend to (or actually) pick up a stone, seems a universal threat here
    - be prepared - dog lead, piece of rope, stick to whip at known aggressive dogs (one contact and I've been left alone since)

Generally, dogs will get to know you and recognise if you are someone to mess with. I have only been bitten once and that was a dog with an incompetent owner on a trail. The owner panicked (worried about is dog) as he saw me, which wound the dog up and it went for me.

I am not dismissing your worries, I know of people who have been bitten in HK but a large part of the dogs behaviour is down to your response. AFCD will come and take away dogs that have attacked and owners can be prosecuted.

Do not use poison, that is a repugnant suggestion.

Cornmeal and Vaughn.T like this.

Posties in Canada carry pepper spray. You can't legally buy in HK but there are DIY recipes online.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Can you describe the large dog that is aggressive to you and others? I can explain my reason for asking.

LBB

I have lived in a number of villages in HK and experienced similar issues.

I would resort to throwing stones and happy to carry a stick to make myself feel more secure or tap on the ground but would never advise hitting a dog, as this could enhance the aggression.

I have found a pet product called pet corrector amazing for such situations. It is a small aerosol (red in colour) that emits air at high pressure so makes a high pitch whooshing noise. I believe it is designed for correcting unwanted behaviours in your own pet but I frequently use it to ward off aggressive dogs in villages and on hikes and it has never failed.

A quick squirt sends the dogs running and is shocking but certainly not cruel. Good luck – hope it works

Bike chain across the head... I lovedogs, but they're basically cowards who want to know where they are in the pack... I've had it mountain biking many times... I stop and get off my bike and fire back at them... they remember.

I used to walk my 3 huskies in the village I lived before and there were many dogs owned by villagers who didnt give two fucks if it attached anyone so I didnt give two fucks about their dogs either if it came at my dogs or me.

I carried a long rubbery hard plastic whip type thingy that was given to me by one of my neighbour after his big dog died. It wasnt to whip my dogs but aggressive non leashed dogs. It worked wonders, after a while these dogs knew not to attack me or try anything, i would growl at them and they would fuck off.

if your not into whipping dogs lol get a squirter and make chili powdered water to squirt at the fuckers. they will know not to mess with you and if that owner complains at you, u can smirk and smile at her and tell her to fuck off as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast