Like Tree7Likes

Not PR - Social Assistance / Covid-19 Relief?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not PR - Social Assistance / Covid-19 Relief?

Hey all,

Happy Easter. I've been researching up and down, but can't find any social support schemes that I qualify for.

Is there no help that a HK resident (on a GEP visa) who got laid off can receive?

Quote Originally Posted by geoheyexpat:
    Hey all,

Happy Easter. I've been researching up and down, but can't find any social support schemes that I qualify for.

Is there no help that a HK resident (on a GEP visa) who got laid off can receive?
    I may be wrong but I don't this would happen in many other countries. I think you would be expected to return home if you can't support yourself.

There is CSSA, you have to have been resident for 12 months and in HK for 44 weeks. It's a pittance, depending on your circumstances, with means testing.

It's what happens in a low tax environment - you are expected to provide your own emergency relief via savings you would otherwise pay as tax in countries with a social security system.

HK governments view is that unemployed people don't need a cash payout, they need a job.

https://www.gov.hk/en/residents/hous...alsecurity.htm

Paxbritannia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    There is CSSA, you have to have been resident for 12 months and in HK for 44 weeks. It's a pittance, depending on your circumstances, with means testing.

It's what happens in a low tax environment - you are expected to provide your own emergency relief via savings you would otherwise pay as tax in countries with a social security system.

HK governments view is that unemployed people don't need a cash payout, they need a job.

And thank God for that.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:

Hi kimwy66, thanks for this. Unfortunately, I surpassed the asset limit of HKD 33,000 for a single, able-bodied adult. I suppose most people on this forum would have failed this asset test as well...

Sorry all, I think I should have clarified further: is there no part of the stimulus packages that people like me would qualify for? Not just social assistance, sorry.

Hi kimwy66, thanks for this. Unfortunately, I surpassed the asset limit of HKD 33,000 for a single, able-bodied adult. I suppose most people on this forum would have failed this asset test as well...
    HK is not a place to be down and out in. If you have no income and no savings it really is best to head back home.

Sorry all, I think I should have clarified further: is there no part of the stimulus packages that people like me would qualify for? Not just social assistance, sorry.
    No
    geoheyexpat, aw451 and spode like this.

Thanks. I was unsure if I missed out any assistance.

Thanks. I was unsure if I missed out any assistance.
    The only assistance was for Permanent Residents and small businesses. Your best bet is to start polishing off your CV.

What field are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    The only assistance was for Permanent Residents and small businesses. Your best bet is to start polishing off your CV.

What field are you in?
    Real estate. Somewhat regret not moving back to my home country earlier as my absence makes me ineligible for assistance there

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast