Like Tree25Likes

US Expats - COVID-19 Relief Check Issues - IRS etc

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fzbz:
    Check arrived in the mail today, as I recall the Get My Payment tool had said it went out April 24 (or the week of), so in this case it was about 3 weeks.
    Once again thank you so much for updating this thread.

I've been searching around in vain trying to determine how the IRS and/or Treasury Department will mail checks abroad and I couldn't find clear information about if letters (containing our checks) sent from the US to HK would get hung up somewhere for the time being.

Anyway the Get My Payment tool said my payment was scheduled to be mailed May 1st, so I'll hope to track it down (moved) by the end of next week.

Thanks again.

Hi Logan,

Thanks for your information. Just want to know if your check has arrived or not. I am in the same situation that the "Get My Payment" tool said my check was scheduled to be mailed May 1st. But I still have not received mine.

Received as direct debit into US account about a week after submitting details on IRS Get My Payment. Slightly odd amount though...$2.50 or so off a round figure. Were there processing fees?

Quote Originally Posted by A.G.G.:
    Hi Logan,

Thanks for your information. Just want to know if your check has arrived or not. I am in the same situation that the "Get My Payment" tool said my check was scheduled to be mailed May 1st. But I still have not received mine.
    My check was sent to the address on my 2018 1040, and it arrived by Friday May 22nd. I've now successfully deposited and the check has cleared into my Schwab Bank account. With Schwab I just take pictures of a check (front and back) and then I can deposit it.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Received as direct debit into US account about a week after submitting details on IRS Get My Payment. Slightly odd amount though...$2.50 or so off a round figure. Were there processing fees?
    I haven't heard of processing fees for receiving this money, but it also could be your bank charging a fee to receive funds.

Otherwise, the IRS says depending on your AGI your amount can be reduce in increments of 5USD:
    "A3. Eligible individuals with adjusted gross income up to $75,000 for single filers, $112,500 for head of household filers and $150,000 for married filing jointly are eligible for the full $1,200 for individuals and $2,400 married filing jointly. In addition, they are eligible for an additional $500 per qualifying child.For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$112,500/$150,000 thresholds. Single filers with income exceeding $99,000, $136,500 for head of household filers and $198,000 for joint filers with no children are not eligible and will not receive payments."

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/econ...rmation-center
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:
    My check was sent to the address on my 2018 1040, and it arrived by Friday May 22nd. I've now successfully deposited and the check has cleared into my Schwab Bank account. With Schwab I just take pictures of a check (front and back) and then I can deposit it.
    good for you. Just hope that my check is on its way to me. Don’t know what I can do if it is lost somewhere in the middle.

I checked the website and saw the same information as AGG (by check week of May 1) and have not received any payment as of today. Will update if/when i receive the payment.

Quote Originally Posted by A.G.G.:
    good for you. Just hope that my check is on its way to me. Don’t know what I can do if it is lost somewhere in the middle.
    The IRS' page explains that they will also send a letter to the same address they mailed your check to within 15 days of mailing your check. The IRS' website says that letter will have ways to handle not receiving your check.

If both those don't make it, then I don't know. However, the IRS and/or Treasury Department might have a way of tracking which checks have cleared and thus could eventually follow up about those that haven't cleared after I time period that works for them.

quick update: today i received a letter (dated 1 May) that i will be receiving $ by debit card or check. but nothing has arrived yet. i noticed that the address on the letter was missing my apartment number, so that might have contributed to the delay in reaching my mailbox. seems the format of the HK address created some issues.

i will update again if/when the $ actually arrive.

Thanks for the update. I think it is very likely the missing apartment number is causing the problem. Do they suggest anything if the check was never received in the letter?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast