Like Tree25Likes

US Expats - COVID-19 Relief Check Issues - IRS etc

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    No need to apply for 1st or 2nd round, supposedly automatic...

I was surprised when I got the first round, didn't think I qualified. I will see what happens with round 2...
    Same, I was pleasantly surprised when I received a check (albeit not the full amount) as I didn't think I qualified. I do hope that people that actually need it get the next round but it's hard to say no to a few extra bucks.

Oh we'll be paying for this for YEARS to come...

tf19 and traineeinvestor like this.

How did you all get the first round?

My father in the US says he got two checks and was confused and I guess he deposited both (for himself). Was there anything when you got your check stating your name or who it was for? Did any checks arrive directly in Hong Kong? (If you're using a Hong Kong address for your taxes...)

Get My Payment tool is saying (for both my permanent US address and my HK one):

Payment Status - Not Available

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

• We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
    • You're not eligible for a payment.

The address you input should be the one the last US tax return the IRS processed. For most that would be the 2019 return, and for a few the 2018 address. Again only use the first line (should be whatever your 1040 has in the home address box)

You can check your AGI on your 1040. On the 2019 1040 this is line 8b.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    My father in the US says he got two checks and was confused and I guess he deposited both (for himself). Was there anything when you got your check stating your name or who it was for? Did any checks arrive directly in Hong Kong? (If you're using a Hong Kong address for your taxes...)
    The first check says Pay to the order of (your name like it appears on your 1040). It also has your address on the check, so essentially that little clear part of the envelope (I can't remember if that's how it actually was) has your name and address, so that's also where it's mailed to.

Yes checks can arrive directly to Hong Kong. Anyway check out your 1040 forms, check your address and your AGI, and use the Get My Payment website FAQ at https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-...sked-questions and such to check if you qualify and if you can get something more than status unavailable from their tool. Good luck.
    shri and Elegiaque like this.

Can anyone see the stimulus payment status for March 2021 on the IRS site yet? My attempts only show the status is unavailable...

There's a phone number for overseas people I will look it up- called it before and reached a genuinely helpful person. He admitted that the online tools are, umm, less than optimal for overseas addresses. If you call the IRS, they will look these things up...

Edit:

Pretty sure this is the number I called with the "267" area code (called with Skype to US phone plan). Worth giving them a call...they are sympathetic to your online problems:

https://www.irs.gov/help/contact-my-...nternationally

Siberia likes this.

Can't see mine yet, but probably too early.

Checked for my mom (she lives in the US) and said direct deposit will happen on 17 March 2021.

Status on our payments - based on "Get my Payment" tool:

Round 1 - Direct deposit into our US account for both (husband and wife, filing joint) - based on our 2018 tax return info. We were owed a refund on 2018 returns which meant our bank info was printed on 1040 by turbotax.Child born in 2019, so will claim child's portion on our 2020 tax return.

Round 2 - Check mailed on Jan 4th to our address on 2019 tax returns (HK address) - still haven't received. 2019 we owed a payment, so no bank account into printed on turbotax. I read on the IRS website to wait till 30th march. Post this date, request a trace and once IRS confirms that check is not cashed, they will stop it. I will then claim this on my 2020 tax return as rebate.

Round 3 - No info on the get my payment tool .. but I feel it will most likely go the Round 2 route.

tf19 likes this.

I just checked the Get My Payment tool and it says they'll mail me my third stimulus check next week.

The first check took about 3 weeks to arrive in HK from the mailing date. The second check took 5 weeks, and I'll let you know how long the third check takes.

In other related news, for those that have dependent children and where you put their SSN on your US taxes, you should be able to get some extra money maybe in July 2021. I think they are working out the details, but it's essentially an expansion of the child tax credit, which I haven't previously received because I haven't had US taxable income (or less than 2,500). No even if you don't have taxable income you can get a refund of the child tax credit.

It's finally paying to be a US citizen living abroad and filing annoying US taxes every year.

Siberia and tf19 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast