Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chuckster007
  • 2 Post By teenicole

20-something and isolated in HK

20-something and isolated in HK

I've lived in HK a number of years but have struggled to find like-minded people or a solid group of friends. I know it's a very privileged and minor problem to have, especially now, but as I am set to be in Hong Kong over the long term, it'd be nice to know if anyone had similar feelings.

I'm in my 20s, and though I'm not a hugely outgoing person, and enjoy being quite solitary, forging good and long-lasting friendships is important to me.

I lived in Melbourne prior to this, and found it really easy to meet new people, with similar interests and invested in the same causes. I do enjoy living in Hong Kong, especially for the outdoors and hiking – but due to time constraints, I'm not able to join regular trail running meet ups.

I personally really care about social justice and welfare – so am thinking of volunteering and hopefully can meet people that way...

Welcome to HK. We live in a bubble called family. We’ve given up on making deep friends as by the time relations progress to real friendship the person has moved across HK or relocated abroad. Gave up we did. Cynical, I know, but sorry.

On a more constructive note, try using the Meet-up app.

Quote Originally Posted by teenicole:
    I've lived in HK a number of years but have struggled to find like-minded people or a solid group of friends. I know it's a very privileged and minor problem to have, especially now, but as I am set to be in Hong Kong over the long term, it'd be nice to know if anyone had similar feelings.

I'm in my 20s, and though I'm not a hugely outgoing person, and enjoy being quite solitary, forging good and long-lasting friendships is important to me.

I lived in Melbourne prior to this, and found it really easy to meet new people, with similar interests and invested in the same causes. I do enjoy living in Hong Kong, especially for the outdoors and hiking – but due to time constraints, I'm not able to join regular trail running meet ups.

I personally really care about social justice and welfare – so am thinking of volunteering and hopefully can meet people that way...

I agree that in HK it sometimes could be hard to meet people and make friends outside of work and family circles, I also struggle with it sometimes.
    I think even if you can not make it to some regular events, try to join clubs or teams, there is quite a bit out there. A lot of people are in dragonboat or rowing teams/clubs, sailing, rock climbing, hiking, biking etc... This is the way I tried to get active and meet new people and it definitely made me much happier here!

There is definitely scope for volunteering even if you don't speak Cantonese. Groups which could be particularly interesting considering your interest in social justice and welfare include Impact HK (working with and advocating for the homeless) and Crossroads Foundation (wide-ranging from fair trade to education to collection, refurbishment and and redistribution of goods both within Hong Kong and to charities around the world).

If you are interested in volunteering with a faith-based group there is a wide variety in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by teenicole:
    Join the kelly group

https://kely.org/
    chingleutsch likes this.

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate the suggestions. I was thinking about volunteering with KELY, so I think I might give that a try.

chuckster007 and mucaari like this.

Feel free to get in contact!