Like Tree73Likes

Best and worse place to live in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Worst - Yau Ma Tei, Mongkok, CWB and Henessy Road.

Best: Kennedy Town by the sea side, South Lantau, Mui Wo, Tung Chung

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Lohas Park will be my favourite once the bridge and tunnel to the island is done and the MTR gets more frequent.

Easy commute into town by MTR or transport during the week, and weekends waking up with the sun coming over High Junk Peak, and Clearwater Bay a short hike away on the other side of the ridge (once the slope repairs behind the Beaumont are done...).
    I'm on the other side of High Junk Peak in Tai Au Mun village. Just 10 minutes walk down to Clearwater Bay First Beach and - within 30 minutes walk - nine other beaches + Clearwater Bay Country Park + hiking trails in all diretions. Quiet and with stunning views from the roof. Two parking spaces right outside the house and great public transport - 30 minutes door to door into Causeway Bay if connections are good. I can't think of anywhere else in HK that I'd rather live.
    Coolboy and GentleGeorge like this.

Best: South Lantau. Best beaches, nice community, affordable housing.
    Worst: Hard to beat Tin Shui Wai

Coolboy and Plutark like this.

Worse for me is the seedy side of Mongkok and Shum Shui Po.

Despite gentification in parts of Mongkok, rest assured its seedy parts is still there.

civil_servant and Sage like this.

Original Post Deleted
    That was certainly the case with Tin Shui Wai. Yuen Long was a pre-existing "market town" in the New Territories so the government had a blueprint to work with.

The New Towns were first devised in the 1960s as the colonial government seeked to ease the urban overcrowding on HK Island and Kowloon and spread the population to the then farmlands of the New Territories. This was a legitimate goal as HK in the 1960's was far from pleasant in regards to living space. The trick was how to implement this policy. Their first attempt at this was Tsuen Wan, which was not considered a success.

Their next attempt was more successful, the Sha Tin New Town, absorbing the lessons they learnt from Tsuen Wan, the government was more careful to design Sha Tin in the 1970's, ensuring it had proper facilties to support its population and it was certainly more successful, followed by Tuen Mun, Tai Po, Fanling, Sheung Shui, Yuen Long, Ma On Shan and Junk Bay. Maybe this string of success lulled the planners into thinking they could do no wrong, as their next two new Towns, Tin Shui Wai and Tung Chung, ran into problems. Both areas suffered from a lack of jobs and good transportation links at first. Tin Shui Wai had more problems with social isolation while Tung Chung at least got an existing airport worker population it can support. Tung Chung is now more successful as a population working in Central moved there due to the ease of the Tung Chung line. Its more plentiful open space also made for a more pleasant living environment.

Hopefully the government has now understood what they went wrong with Tin Shui Wai and will do a better job for their next new town.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 24-06-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    Best: South Lantau. Best beaches, nice community, affordable housing.
    Worst: Hard to beat Tin Shui Wai
    South Lantau is nice...if you don't mind the cows. Personally, I like them, gives living in Lantau an interesting twist.
    Plutark likes this.

I don't know why many have pointed out CWB as one of the worst. To me, it's one of the best - well, at least in my opinion. Kennedy town, Sai Ying Pun are all boring, and I agree Tin Shui Wai would be the worst followed by Sham Shui Po , TST and Yau Ma Tei .

After watching HK movie "Fog and Nights " (based on real life family tragedy in which a Mainland Chinese woman and her two kids fall victim to domestic abuse on the hands of her HKer hubby) my mind can't help but think the place is a symbol of bloody domestic violence.

Anyway, I think it all depends on what you're looking for.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Anyway, I think it all depends on what you're looking for.
    Very much this. 30 years ago you wouldn't have caught me dead living outside of the Sheung Wan/ Sai Ying Pun area. Pre-MTR it had a very earthy/ working class vibe.

These days I'm quite content living in a Tuen Mun District village area.

Worst must be SSP.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Anywhere in HK is fine (if you take away the practical and convenience issues). I just want something a bit bigger, a few more/larger rooms, some simple built in appliances like an oven, bedrooms that have built in wardrobes, bathrooms where you can actually put a bath mat on the floor and still be able to close the door, etc. I am not asking for too much am I?
    We have this, plus sea views, beach within 5 mins walk....and all for 23K.

Anyway for me I don’t particularly like any bits of HK for the long term. It’s ok for a limited period to earn some dosh. Not a city fan at all but some of the further flung villages are ok.

I just think it’s sad to pay Billions for a small place in a crowded city when you can have quadruple for 10 time less in other parts of the world.
    Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 25-06-2020 at 11:32 PM.