Like Tree73Likes

Best and worse place to live in HK?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Doesn't Xi JinPing's niece has a 1,700 square meter house in Repulse Bay?

Also an entire floor of the Convention Plaza apartments in Wanchai.

Li Zhanshu's family also own a big house in Repulse Bay and live there as do supposedly quite a few of the families of the top echelons of the CCP.
    that sweet money you get when you're a communist!

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Careful, you might be disclosing national secrets, you can be seen as threatening national security and soon disappear, hidden away in some undisclosed detention centre and be held without trial...
    Didn't the reporter who broke this story a few years ago lose his job and had his home searched by the Police? So yes you're right with the Party Security Laws the story would never of broken.
    Coolboy likes this.

I live 30 seconds walk from Sogo in Causeway Bay amd love it, so convienient for food and a few decent bars. Hell for me would be DB , mid levels and Soho. I hardly ever go further west than Arsenal street. Just a note, I do leave CWB, I work in Tseun Wan, which is quite nice, but really CWB has it all for me.

hannah01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    That raises an interesting question, how much is one willing to trade off convenience for livability in HK?
    Both comes first. I wouldn't live in a shoebox apartment just for the sake of conveniences around it (shopping, food, commute, clinics). That said, I don't live in a penthouse sprawling beyond my vision, either . (I might, one day).
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Both comes first. I wouldn't live in a shoebox apartment just for the sake of conveniences around it (shopping, food, commute, clinics). That said, I don't live in a penthouse sprawling beyond my vision, either . (I might, one day).
    Oh definitely. Everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too. Hehehe.
    hannah01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldPom:
    I live 30 seconds walk from Sogo in Causeway Bay amd love it, so convienient for food and a few decent bars. Hell for me would be DB , mid levels and Soho. I hardly ever go further west than Arsenal street. Just a note, I do leave CWB, I work in Tseun Wan, which is quite nice, but really CWB has it all for me.
    Just goes to show how different people can be! I would say the complete opposite...no I wouldn't as I don't like the expat nature of DB. But other than that...

Sad to say you hardly go west of Arsenal street though. The beauty of HK is it's variety. So much to see and experience in the west, east and the North.

I've only been in Hong Kong 3 years and have been to most corners of it. I'm always amazed how many locals and expats stick to the well known bits of the city.
    hannah01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Anywhere in HK is fine (if you take away the practical and convenience issues). I just want something a bit bigger, a few more/larger rooms, some simple built in appliances like an oven, bedrooms that have built in wardrobes, bathrooms where you can actually put a bath mat on the floor and still be able to close the door, etc. I am not asking for too much am I?
    I have all of those things. (Get a boat). I also have no noisy neighbours. But as with everything in life, there are other downsides !

I’d love to move back to the southside. It’s always sunny there and a far cry from the depressing massive new build developments like LOHAS Park, West Kowloon, Olympic.

I swear that the absolute worst isn’t Tin Shui Wai where one can easily get down to street level! I swear I’ve never found out how to get to street level from LOHAS Park MTR (the main road not the bus terminus). TKO north, Po Lam etc has to be a close second, blank façades, depressing 90s malls (though some have been renovated recently). CWB, MK, PE is not for everyone, seems very claustrophobic to say the least.

Sha Tin is the best new town hands down.

Skyhook likes this.

I like the Sai Kung old town. No motors there; only kids walking to school, folks walking to shops, deliveries by hand.
    It's quiet mate, real quiet.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast