Like Tree73Likes

Best and worse place to live in HK?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Best and worse place to live in HK?

So, let's say hypothetically, you can leave aside practical issues like budget and daily conveniences (i.e. commuting time to work, buying groceries etc) and can pick anywhere you want to live in HK, which location will you pick and why. Conversely, which place will you avoid? Is the Peak really the best place? No question it is the status symbol address in this city. But is it really the best?

If you take all the convenience and practicality out of the equation then you surely end up out in Tai Long Wan with all the beautiful scenery and beaches? Or maybe Three Fathoms Cove if you insist on actually having some buildings to live in.

The Peak is the Peak as it's cooler and breezier and was more survivable without AC in the Victorian era. These days it's still got those advantages when you're outside and gets you out of the lower level pollution (but into the mist and potentially into the higher level smog). And for the buildings on the ridge line having a view to both sides of the island is great. Assuming the piles of cash in your apartment don't block the windows 😂

Coolboy and angeluscomplex like this.

Worst: Tin Shui Wai

Worse places for me would be somewhere like Causeway Bay near Sogo or within a couple blocks of Nathan Road from TST to Prince Edwards. Best place is for me is definitely not the peak or anywhere like Parkview. I like places along the water on the South Side but it's also a little inconvenient and I absolutely hate to drive in HK. I'd say anywhere along Kennedy Rd, it's convenient for walking to many places I go to, short commute yet not crowded and easily accessible.

Best probably Repulse Bay. Pleasant environment, some amenities such as supermarket and restaurants. Driving thru the tunnel is probably faster than winding down that road from the peak.
    busses much less overcrowded by tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    Worst: Tin Shui Wai
    Considering developed area that's true

For practical purposes, best I think will be Mong Kok; however taking the commute factor out, it will be Aberdeen.

Repulse Bay, is IMHO, worse than Pok Fu Lam / Wah Fu. Only a single winded road with one lane in each direction.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    If you take all the convenience and practicality out of the equation then you surely end up out in Tai Long Wan with all the beautiful scenery and beaches? Or maybe Three Fathoms Cove if you insist on actually having some buildings to live in.

The Peak is the Peak as it's cooler and breezier and was more survivable without AC in the Victorian era. These days it's still got those advantages when you're outside and gets you out of the lower level pollution (but into the mist and potentially into the higher level smog). And for the buildings on the ridge line having a view to both sides of the island is great. Assuming the piles of cash in your apartment don't block the windows ������
    Speaking of the Peak, its interesting, most people think that district has the richest people in the city. However, it is actually the Southside, and Deep Water Bay in particular, that has the highest concentration of billionaires. That area stretching from Shouson Hill in the East to Repulse Bay in the West is in fact one of the richest place in the world by net worth of its residents:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberto.../#7d411bfb87f5

best - government house
    worse - jail

Dream location: The Lookout in Repulse Bay

Alternatively: on the Peak in a colonial style villa. Like Bracken Hill or 27 Lugard Road. Or maybe one of those standalone villas above Deep Bay.

bdw

Anywhere in HK is fine (if you take away the practical and convenience issues). I just want something a bit bigger, a few more/larger rooms, some simple built in appliances like an oven, bedrooms that have built in wardrobes, bathrooms where you can actually put a bath mat on the floor and still be able to close the door, etc. I am not asking for too much am I?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast