Like Tree128Likes

Hong Kong is expensive but pay is shit - why do expats come here?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsang:
    Unfortunately the Asian Championship last year was cancelled due to war-like situation in Hong Kong. It was my best chance to get good result in order to get sponsorship.
    So what’s your current world ranking? Hope you’ll get a chance to shine next year at Tokyo Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien-F:
    So what’s your current world ranking? Hope you’ll get a chance to shine next year at Tokyo Olympics
    I'm doing a non-Olympic sport. Unfortunately my world ranking has already dropped outside the first hundred in the last year. Hope that the border can be reopened soon such that I can travel to Europe and do the races to catch up my world ranking again.

The vast majority of top-ranked athletes are from Europe therefore I only stand a decent chance to get good result in Asian Championship but not World Championship.

jgl

The cost of living in Hong Kong is mostly the same as London which is known as ridiculously expensive. It takes about HK$20k / month to rent a 1-room apartment which is even more than the average salary of a web developer (in contrast, the average salary in London is about £55k / annum, which is equivalent to HK$33k / month after tax, only in small cities the rent is affordable). The only pro about Hong Kong is its lower taxes but it is offset by much lower earning.

In Europe, I can earn the same amount of money while living at a place which is 50% cheaper to live, or earn double the amount I currently earn while living in a big city, with much more work-life balance, days off, etc.

Why do expats still come to this shit place?
    The whole premise of the original post is off to start with.

By definition, expats are not 'average'. They are a self-selecting group and something draws them out here. It could be salary, it could be adventure, it could be something else. But they are far out of 'average' for wherever they come from.

Haven't read the intervening ten pages of posts, but it does appear to be going off the rails in an amusing fashion. International sports rankings, attractiveness of HK women?

Great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The whole premise of the original post is off to start with.

By definition, expats are not 'average'. They are a self-selecting group and something draws them out here. It could be salary, it could be adventure, it could be something else. But they are far out of 'average' for wherever they come from.

Haven't read the intervening ten pages of posts, but it does appear to be going off the rails in an amusing fashion. International sports rankings, attractiveness of HK women?

Great thread!
    you mean the lack of effort needed for luring them since they already drool at the mere sight of white skin?

I'm doing a non-Olympic sport. Unfortunately my world ranking has already dropped outside the first hundred in the last year. Hope that the border can be reopened soon such that I can travel to Europe and do the races to catch up my world ranking again.

The vast majority of top-ranked athletes are from Europe therefore I only stand a decent chance to get good result in Asian Championship but not World Championship.
    No wonder you are not getting paid - you are spending all your time and money on some extra-curricular interest instead of getting better at your job.

That's a fine choice to make, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you are not making the choice.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10