Like Tree3Likes

Driving licence transfer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Driving licence transfer

Hi everyone. I’ve recently moved to HK, and I am trying to exchange my UK driver’s licence for a HK licence. I’ve checked the relevant rules and filled in the appropriate forms. But I’ve been told by the licensing department that that service is “on hold”. As they don’t put this on their website, and don’t answer their phone, I am wondering how to find out when the service resumes. I’m hoping not to have to traipse down to the office in Admiralty every time I need to check. Any helpful ideas would be gratefully received. Thank you.

You should be booking this stuff online appointment from the Transport Department. They now stop entertaining walk-ins since last May.

- thank you. I have thought about this, but I’m a bit concerned because I now have my HK identity card - which I presume means I am no longer a visitor. It is tempting, though!

Original Post Deleted
    It doesn't matter if you have HKID. Just say you are here on holiday. In the meanwhile, you have 6 months to get a HK License.

Remember to carry UK License and UK Passport when you drive.
    Last edited by ArrynField; 14-07-2020 at 05:09 PM.

i think if you get an international drivers licence from the UK that will confer12m of driving rights in HK, so at least that will buy you some time. At least that's what i did when i moved here 8years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillypots:
    @gardabble - the Department of Transport doesn’t allow you to book an appointment for this service online, unfortunately. It is a transfer application, not a new licence or a driving test (both of the latter can be booked on line).
    Actually when you book for a driver's license renewal, you are technically applying for a new HK driver's license (because the expiry date 10 yrs is when you apply for the HK license, not your UK license expiry) when you transfer your UK license to HK. Its just that you are exempted from taking the written and road tests in HK. Just make sure you bring all the required forms for transfer and documents like your UK driver's license and passport.

Hi Gardabble - thanks for this. But the problem is not getting in - it is that they have already confirmed that the transfer service is currently suspended owing to Covid 19. So even if I apply online and go to the appointment, they won’t accept the application. My question is more around how I will know when the service is no longer suspended, as they don’t put this in the webpage or answer their phones. I can go down to the office at Admiralty and check again, but I was hoping to find an easier way of keeping tabs on the situation. I wish I had known this before I moved 😐 But all the research in the world doesn’t help when the sources of information are incomplete.

How long is a piece of string?

You'll know when infection levels start dropping and the Gov't starts relaxing Covid measures.

https://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_serv...ce_/index.html

"Driving on strength of their valid overseas driving licence or international driving permit if they are visitors to Hong Kong (visitors mean that they arrive at Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period not exceeding 12 months)".

Not looking good for me then!! I do realise that this is a first world problem and there are many more pressing matters for folks to worry about 😊 Thanks for all the replies.

Download this App and subscribe to Transport Department

https://www.gov.hk/en/theme/govhknotifications/

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast