Like Tree51Likes

Why do people mock faxes?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I don't mean signing, but the filling. Those without pre-fillable form boxes.. essentially you're faffing around with annotations aren't you? Have to adjust font size manually to fit the space etc... drag the "text boxes" around yourself....

Nice thought regarding the Apple Pencil though... will look into that.
    TigerSun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    I don't mean signing, but the filling. Those without pre-fillable form boxes.. essentially you're faffing around with annotations aren't you? Have to adjust font size manually to fit the space etc... drag the "text boxes" around yourself....

Nice thought regarding the Apple Pencil though... will look into that.
    If you pay for Adobe Acrobat Pro you can fill any kind of PDF, even scanned ones. It has text recognition and will recognize where a text box should be. If that fails you can just click anywhere on the page and start typing. It also supports signing the document either with a pen, a scanned signature or a digital certificate. Same with a company chop, just click on the button and choose a scanned image of the chop.
    Skyhook likes this.

jgl

Original Post Deleted
    Did you copy that from somewhere, or just make it up on the spot?

'Cause that's remarkably on point.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    .. manually by annotating? I frankly find that more fiddly than it's worth. Or perhaps I need a better PDF editor? If a form has been pre-made to be electronically fillable, then OK. Otherwise I think i'll stick to my pen.

I've got nothing against email when the situation sees fit; I just wonder if the fax deserves complete banishment given certain situations where it might actually be easier.
    The problem with faxes, even when it's 'easier', is that these days you're probably printing out a form, manually adding some pen or stamp marks, then faxing it (scanning down an analogue line), where it comes out another printer and a human then eventually picks it up, and processes the information back into a digital system somewhere.

It's 'easier' for one small step of the process, at the expense of being highly inefficient overall.

Ah, I also remember the days when there was a thing called 'fax paper'. That stuff sucked so much- thin rolls of paper with a tendency to curl up on itself, and very quickly over time the printing would fade as it was sensitive to heat.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    NIRD said I could fax a letter of explanation to them (not email) but the place I am staying at got rid of their last fax machine years ago so .... I had to email the letter to a friend who had to print it out so she could fax it to the IRD.
    Now you'll have to trust it, but as you explained you had to trust your friend with your letter to the IRD, so it's to you who/what you trust more.

Anyway, if you must send a fax to an HK fax number, you can use outfax.com for free. It seems at least all local schools are required to have a working fax machine because the EDB has a habit of faxing them some things sometimes.

If you want to fax something to a non-HK fax number, you can search online to see what services work in what country.

A fax is just an old form of a digital transmission, so there is no technical reason that you actually need a physical fax machine to send and/or receive faxes if you don't actually want to use/have one.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Probably still valuable during the discovery stage.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast