Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By mucaari
  • 1 Post By Mr Chips
  • 1 Post By Mr Chips
  • 2 Post By Coolboy

Lowest point in HK (lowest lying area)

Lowest point in HK (lowest lying area)

HK does not have any canyons, ravines et al, but what is the lowest lying area in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    HK does not have any canyons, ravines et al, but what is the lowest lying area in HK?
    sealevel?

Coolboy likes this.

To add... what's your definition of 'ravine'... I would argue that HKSAR is more or less hills and ravines!

Turning it round... What is the highest continuously residentially occupied (so no, not counting the huts on Sunset Peak or radio barracks on Mt. Tai Mo) housing block/estate?

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    sealevel?
    Both Google & the CIA (thanks Mr Chips btw, didn't know the CIA had a Factbook ) say it's the South China Sea but what would be the lowest point on non-coastal land and not in the water (I know the fact that HK is 20% reclamation messes up the question)? Wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhere in Mai Po or up north where it used to flood back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    To add... what's your definition of 'ravine'... I would argue that HKSAR is more or less hills and ravines!
    I'd say a ravine would have to be quite narrow and not just the HK spacing between 2 hills

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Turning it round... What is the highest continuously residentially occupied (so no, not counting the huts on Sunset Peak or radio barracks on Mt. Tai Mo) housing block/estate?
    Somewhere on the Peak?

Both Google & the CIA (thanks Mr Chips btw, didn't know the CIA had a Factbook ) say it's the South China Sea but what would be the lowest point on land and not in the water (I know the fact that HK is 20% reclamation messes up the question)? Wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhere in Mai Po or up north where it used to flood back in the day.
    The CIA Factbook is a great resource... Re: lowest elevations: I suppose any of the plains in the north of the New Territories, even near Lau Fau Shan, of course, this excludes the beaches! :-)

I'd say a ravine would have to be quite narrow and not just the HK spacing between 2 hills
    I think the definition of ravine s quite specific and is a space between hills carved out by a stream... I can think of dozens of these just where I used to mountain bike...
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Well there is a "sort of" canyon at Pineapple Mountain in Tuen Mun:

MatthieuTofu and irisboards like this.