Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Editor

Finding kefir grains in Hong Kong

Finding kefir grains in Hong Kong

Could anyone please help me find a reliable source for kefir grains in Hong Kong? I have tried the dehydrated ones and the fresh ones from FoodCraft and have been unsuccessful producing good kefir from either. I would really appreciate some help from local kefir brewers. Many thanks in advance.

Available from me - just READ your P.M. now,

Wow! That was quick. Many thanks but I should have mentioned I was looking for water kefir grains. If you have those I would definitely be interested.

Yes, you should have been more specific!

Join the fermenting group on FB. Everyone shares kefir/ komucha/ sourdough.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FermentingHK/

gigglinggal and Elegiaque like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Hi GreenCatalonia -

Apologies for reaching out so directly but I wanted to see whether we could possibly take you up on your offer of milk kefir grains if they are still available?

I managed to kill my girlfriends batch so trying to find replacement

hope you can help

Regards
    Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by sebg:
    Hi GreenCatalonia -

Apologies for reaching out so directly but I wanted to see whether we could possibly take you up on your offer of milk kefir grains if they are still available?

I managed to kill my girlfriends batch so trying to find replacement

hope you can help

Regards
    Sebastian
    Wow !!! You managed to destroy your girlfriend's Kefir???

I bet that your actions did not earn you any "Brownie Points" or whatever trading tokens you two use!!

Mine has been healthy since around 1998 when I got some from a "Cat loving" lady up in Broadwood Road in Happy Valley, and has survived our 50 day holiday trip around Russia and the Baltic countries some years later !!!

Just stored in the warmest part of our fridge with a covering of milk - tip - best to use Jersey 4.2 full cream milk from the 759 stores. This is definitely the best growth medium !! It helps finances if you acquire their shoppers discount card..

I buy masses of their milk - 'cos unfortunately it too often vanishes for several weeks at a time. Last time I hauled home 16 x 1Litre cartons.

Had to make two trips to acquire this amount.

SWMBO wasn't too enamored at my purchases but I consider it essential when it is missing from the stores for many weeks on end & I have to use sub-optimal Hokkaido milk - which is considerably more expensive!

As for your request for a replacement "dollop" of Kefir; yes I can supply you and anyone else who wants a better healthy replacement than Yogurt.

Me? I'm ancient - approaching 80 y.o. and barely still on the "right" side of it, and I prepare my mixture of oats, nuts, cinnamon which are soaked overnight in my favorite Jersey cow juice, then the next morning I filter my home-made Kefir on top of it, and topped off with a few spoonfuls of any Yogurt I have to hand - sometimes home-made from a package from the Supermarkets.

The remainder of the filtered Kefir is returned to my glass bottle and "fed" with more Jersey milk - ready to be filtered and used - in my case - every other day as I like it thick.

So, if you - or anyone else - wants some - firstly read my spiel in this website's classified advert section {anything else} https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/per...else/ad/519489

and then message me.... Buyer collects - since I don't travel too well these days!

Collect from : Pok Fu Lam Road at almost any reasonable time and date !!