Like Tree20Likes

How do burglars get into your house?

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,053

    some expert burglars carry a tiny hydraulic jack, wedged between the external security and window frame, the window pops open in 5 secs.

    renovation and scaffolding provide cover for burglars to access the windows.


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,789

    In addition to living in an unassuming neighborhood, I also have luggage that looks like I stole it from a homeless person. Very low cost luggage that has been abused by the airlines over the years, discouraging anyone interested in targeting luggage...

    I know from growing up on Long Island that they definitely watch certain houses/neighborhoods. We had TWO dogs and were the only house on the street not broken into...no one wants to mess with TWO dogs, even though one was only a Welsh Terrier (smallish). But terriers can be nasty while the larger dog (nastiest bark of any dog, ever) messes with you.

    Crime is the one reason I am rethinking the idea of retiring somewhere like Cuenca, Ecuador. Everyone assumes the gringos are rich/have expensive electronics/jewelry, makes us targets. Don't want to sleep with one eye open every night.

    Skyhook, Shiojiri Hiro and Jackie1 like this.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I just assumed no one would bother on the 25th floor.
    I had a next door neighbour broken into on the 25th floor, in Wan Chai.

    Once the burglars had sneaked past the security people on the ground floor, they had all the time in the world to do the break in and search through the flat.
    TheBrit likes this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,053
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    I had a next door neighbour broken into on the 25th floor, in Wan Chai.

    Once the burglars had sneaked past the security people on the ground floor, they had all the time in the world to do the break in and search through the flat.
    add to that, the typical central CCTV is hopeless

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,935

    I've added bells to our doors and windows. Tacky things from tourist shops. They'd make a crash if someone tried to open anything.

    Recently a neighbor put a camera at their front door, but I feel it's to spy on *me*. They've been somewhat nasty to us and have even said things about what they've "seen" me do everyday. Is there anything I can do about the camera?

    gch555 likes this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I've added bells to our doors and windows. Tacky things from tourist shops. They'd make a crash if someone tried to open anything.

    Recently a neighbor put a camera at their front door, but I feel it's to spy on *me*. They've been somewhat nasty to us and have even said things about what they've "seen" me do everyday. Is there anything I can do about the camera?
    If they haven't installed a camera warning sign you could report them.
    Elegiaque likes this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,493

    re

    Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    If they haven't installed a camera warning sign you could report them.

    where is the HK relevant legislation on that?

    my terrible google for 30 seconds came up with

    which talk about a code of practice but not legal ramifications

    "Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486) is the primary legislation governing the collection of personal data in Hong Kong, laborious recommendations are issued by the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data based on the Data Protection Principles of the Ordinance. The applicable principles include Principles 1 to 5. The explanatory commentaries can be readily retrieved from the publications and website of the office of the Commissioner and need not be repeated here. However, the recommendations and codes of practice are only what they are, including even a seemingly obligatory statement that data users should carry out a privacy impact assessment before using CCTV – they have no legal force of their own."

    CCTV and Privacy Rights | Hong Kong Lawyer
    Elegiaque likes this.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by chichow:
    re


    where is the HK relevant legislation on that?

    my terrible google for 30 seconds came up with

    which talk about a code of practice but not legal ramifications

    "Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486) is the primary legislation governing the collection of personal data in Hong Kong, laborious recommendations are issued by the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data based on the Data Protection Principles of the Ordinance. The applicable principles include Principles 1 to 5. The explanatory commentaries can be readily retrieved from the publications and website of the office of the Commissioner and need not be repeated here. However, the recommendations and codes of practice are only what they are, including even a seemingly obligatory statement that data users should carry out a privacy impact assessment before using CCTV – they have no legal force of their own."

    CCTV and Privacy Rights | Hong Kong Lawyer
    Not sure but police showed up here asking to check out neighbour's camera, apprently allowed for surveillance of ones own private property but would be an infringement if pointed at someone else's private property however now there are more cameras doing exactly that.

    If one felt it was directed at their home or entrance could perhaps have it adjusted?

    They're some papers on personal data privacy etc.
    on Legco but of course in downloable (not viewable in browser) PDFs so I'm not going to bother....

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Kowloon
    Posts
    85

    my m-i-l had her place broken into when there was external scaffolding. She has the normal aluminium frame windows and all that was needed was a screwdriver to pop the window open from the outside, they are really flimsy.

    For high rises you are usually safe until there is external scaffolding, but I am sure there have been a few instances of crazy cat burglars if the rewards are high enough.

    Skyhook likes this.

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2