Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By shri

Wanted: legal advice regarding a family dispute

Closed Thread

Exclamation Wanted: legal advice regarding a family dispute

Hi

A friend, who is a Hong Kong citizen and resident, needs legal advice about a family matter. In short, she suspects a family member is abusing her elderly, terminally ill father (who is widowed), but this person will not allow her to see him. Each time she begs to see him, she gets a blunt refusal. Similarly, other family friends are not allowed into the apartment to see if the elderly man is okay.
    In short, can anyone recommend a lawyer, or is this a police matter? Given that my friend has limited finances, legal aid, or advice from a lawyer who doesn't change the earth, is appreciated.

Thank you

Seek advice from the Social Services dept. They have a elderly abuse prevention service.

https://www.swd.gov.hk/en/index/site...serabuseelder/

Margot8 and gigglinggal like this.

Many thanks. I will give her these links. It is a good starting point.

@Margot8 - Forgot about this resource. There are a few NGO numbers listed on this page which might be useful.

https://www.elderly.gov.hk/english/c...der_abuse.html

what relation is the person looking after your friends father. ?
    Is that the real father of your friend, not father in law?

If your friend wants to go through a non violent way to see her father, call the police, tell them a person is holding captive their father and is preventing them access, suspect the father is being abused.

If that was my own father and someone that was looking after him said I cant see my own father, he/she would not be able to chew food properly after I bash their face in, I couldnt care less if that person was a relative of ours.

It’s her stepmother. My friend is very upset and angry but she isn’t violent. She just wants to see her Dad and check that he’s okay and that he knows she loves him. He’s her only close living relative

Original Post Deleted
    +1

Having a trained social worker who has likely been there, seen that advice you on your options is far more desirable than a police solution. Unless this is a very time critical life and death matter.
    Margot8 likes this.

You got good advice above. Just an alternative viewpoint here to bear in mind. My Dad got mentally ill when a while back, he was abusive and violent. His entire personality changed. I would not have believed it if I had not seen for myself. It's possible the stepmother is just trying to protect your friend from something similar or protect her husband from perceived loss of face due to loss of faculties or similar. Not everyone has malicious motives. Just a thought.