Like Tree35Likes

Helper issues

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If she can't get any money from you, she will borrow from the loan shark and that's another mess in itself. When she can't pay them back, they're going to find you and harass you.

Best thing is to probably fire her if you don't want the issues piling up...

The money thing is a constant issue for these poor helpers, some get conned, some support a very large family back home and when one of them gets sick then the medical bills pile up and left to the poor helper to sort out as they think she is the walking ATM with Angelic Western Employers who will always be there to help the poor helper LOL.

I know a few helpers, always moaning about lack of money, a few has loans already and constantly looking for more money to borrow. Its unfortunately a never ending story.

If you want to keep her then tell her a firm NO and tell her to NOT borrow money from Finance companies, if you find out she has taken a loan using your house address, you will terminate her without hesitation.

We've given loans to a couple of helpers in the past, and not had any issues. The helper has repaid us through salary deductions (up to the max monthly amount allowed by the government so repaid over a number of months). We'd rather they did this than go to a loan shark.

Mrs. Jones and ren32 like this.

ask her for clarification on why she needs the money for. She might be getting scammed without knowing it.

I heard many horror stories of helpers borrowing money when they move here and not being able to pay it back (especially with COVID, the sharks are right out there).

Thanks so much for all of the replies - I would love to reply to all of you individually. She’s already had the firm no and don’t ask again from me.

As some have commented there are massive red flags with this one. I don’t think we are at termination stage but I do like the link you sent pin. I’m going to make it abundantly clear to her that the moment I sense the involvement of loan sharks she’s out of the door immediately.

In answer to another question no I didn’t immediately lay down the ground rules except saying that pay was monthly and I would split the first payment into 2 weeks and the balance at month end.

Quite frankly I wasn’t expecting less than 3 months into the contract to be faced with this. Definitely a pro tip for me next time and for others. When getting a reference ask previous employer if there were ever any loans or money issues and make it abundantly clear at the outset no loans

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    ask her for clarification on why she needs the money for. She might be getting scammed without knowing it.

I heard many horror stories of helpers borrowing money when they move here and not being able to pay it back (especially with COVID, the sharks are right out there).
    She’s a mature helper. If it was first contract early 20s I’d probably understand better and I know those horror stories. I paid off previous gf loan at a massively reduced rate to the loan shark. Let’s say it cost me a few drinks to bring some ‘persuasive power’ with me to that meeting. This scumbag was a bloody Brit as well! That was only about 15K of the 40 she left me with.

I don’t want to ask for her passport but that’s one sure fire way of mitigating her going to a shark.
    Plutark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    She’s a mature helper. If it was first contract early 20s I’d probably understand better and I know those horror stories. I paid off previous gf loan at a massively reduced rate to the loan shark. Let’s say it cost me a few drinks to bring some ‘persuasive power’ with me to that meeting. This scumbag was a bloody Brit as well! That was only about 15K of the 40 she left me with.

I don’t want to ask for her passport but that’s one sure fire way of mitigating her going to a shark.
    oh wow, a Brit doing shark loan! My wife also had problem before I met her. Her best friend borrowed money from some shady bank here and asked her to be the guarantor, around 50k + I believe. She shortly fled HK and never paid her back. Her employer was kind and helped her settle it and deduct from her salary. Shit show

@ByeByeEngland there are non-profits that work to help provide financial education to helpers and keep them from getting into any of these traps. Maybe you can offer to pay for her to join? Or with a future employee make it mandatory that they attend?

https://enrichhk.org/empower-migrant...est-themselves

gigglinggal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    @ByeByeEngland there are non-profits that work to help provide financial education to helpers and keep them from getting into any of these traps. Maybe you can offer to pay for her to join? Or with a future employee make it mandatory that they attend?

https://enrichhk.org/empower-migrant...est-themselves
    That also helps thanks.

I should also add my gf is a Filipino (as was the 4 year ex) who also assists typically new entry helpers, renewals, terminations etc. I’ll check to see if she’s already got it, if not I know she’ll use it.
    chuckster007 likes this.