Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bdw
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By bdw

Global Data Sim Card?

Closed Thread

Global Data Sim Card?

Anyone know a plan similar to the Google Fi Sim card that provides unlimited international data for frequent travellers (Google one's only available to US residents)? Thanks in advance

.. or more simply, anyone got suggestions for the most comprehensive phone data plan that a HK resident could get that provides a high degree of data coverage across most major countries? I understand an alternative with a reach as broad as Google Fi’s is unlikely to be in market as yet

Apparently China Mobile has a plan for 400 bucks a month. I use a pocket wifi. 120 bucks for 5 gb. Little bit more of a hassle to carry it around, but works out much cheaper.

Is there such a thing as a frequent traveller these days?

Most phone providers have some sort of daily/weekly data roaming passes. However, I usually find it most economical to get a local sim for wherever I am heading.

Last edited by Walter White; 17-08-2020 at 02:07 PM.

I live in Australia and use a Hong Kong issued China mobile sim. The 10GB data allowance can be used in Hong Kong or any of the available countries around the world. Price is $238/month for 44 "Asia" countries, or $338/month for 152 "global" countries. They also waive the $18 admin fee since I have a business account with China mobile and purchase about 30 phones through them.

Here in Australia, it works on the Telstra network, which is the best network in Australia, same 10GB data allowance works in Australia with no added roaming charges. I also have a dual sim phone and on the second sim have a local Optus contract (which is the second best network in Aus). So now it's quite unique, on the top of my phone says "Telstra Mobile, YES Optus" which gives me the best of both worlds, a HK number and Aus number, global data in 152 countries (not that I use anything other than Aus roaming at the moment), and no extra charges at end of month regardless of where I travel in those 152 countries.

mostexcellent likes this.

thanks for the heads up guys. I’ll pay China Mobile a visit as it sounds prob like the best option currently. @bdw am curious do you pay an arm and a leg if you ever go over 10gb? and do they give you a warning as you get close to the 10gb cut off? Thanks

I have the same China Mobile plan. If you sign up for a new contract you'll get 30GB a month for $718 to be used pretty much world wide. Extra traffic is $30/0.5GB and can be purchased by SMS.

https://www.hk.chinamobile.com/en/po...countries.html

It looks like is $398/month for 10GB to use in 160 "global" countries, or $298 for 44 "Asia" countries. I get about $60 off because of a corporate agreement with 20+ phones. Excess data $30/500mb. But they do have some higher priced plans with more data built in in you know you are going to need more than 10GB.

https://eshop.hk.chinamobile.com/en/...egoryId=global