Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hiki08

Sending gifts to australia?

Closed Thread

Sending gifts to australia?

I want to send a box of gifts back to Australia for my family and friends. Nothing too expensive just some small gifts/toys/etc bought in the SSP markets. Maybe some candies but nothing else food related to avoid any issues with customs.

Does anyone know if I need to pay tax on the gifts? I've read a few different websites and reading contradictory things.

Read the Border Force website. It's the only one that matters.

https://www.abf.gov.au/buying-online...y-post-or-mail

Looks like if total value under 1000 AUD you are fine.

In case you aren't aware though, HK Post has suspended airmail of parcels (not sure if it's mail too) to Australia. They're still delivering via surface mail but that'll take months (and probably melt your candy in transit). DHL and other courier services are still working.

The man in the PO told me that air mail to Oz had just resumed yesterday. But I was just sending a smallish envelope with a document inside. No idea about parcels.

I sent some T-shirts from Mong Kok market to my nephew. I sent the parcel when air mail was still suspended, but it arrived in six weeks, so I was pretty impressed. The parcel I sent the same day to Canada hasn’t arrived, though

To add - nephew lives In Brisbane

That's helpful to know. I might need to pay the post office a visit soon. Have something I had wanted to post but held back because of it.

Jillypots likes this.