rent reduction or break lease - Scaffolding and renovation

Closed Thread

rent reduction or break lease - Scaffolding and renovation

Hello,
    we just renewed our lease and huge scaffoldings have been put up next-door. Our view at front and back is almost gone and the garden and living room is much darker. The noise is almost too much to handle at times. The neighbours are friendly, try to limit any issues. My question is if I have any change to request rent reduction given fact that if we knew this we would not have accepted the renewal of the lease.
    Also we have a strong smell in garden from an underground room which seems to have bubbles in it. Is has been drained before but smell remains and there are bubbles forming. room is locked of so I cannot go in it. Landlord refuses to come and look at it. What are my rights here in terms or agreement. I personally would even consider moving but we cannot break for another year.
    Thanks in advance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoledavies:
    Hello,
    we just renewed our lease and huge scaffoldings have been put up next-door. Our view at front and back is almost gone and the garden and living room is much darker. The noise is almost too much to handle at times. The neighbours are friendly, try to limit any issues. My question is if I have any change to request rent reduction given fact that if we knew this we would not have accepted the renewal of the lease.
    Also we have a strong smell in garden from an underground room which seems to have bubbles in it. Is has been drained before but smell remains and there are bubbles forming. room is locked of so I cannot go in it. Landlord refuses to come and look at it. What are my rights here in terms or agreement. I personally would even consider moving but we cannot break for another year.
    Thanks in advance!!!
    assuming your LL doesn't own the adjacent property, you can complain all day long but she/he is not responsible.

for the underground room, what does your lease say? is it a basement? is it a rural village house, because they are generally not connected to a municipal drainage system, is it your underground septic tank? if the LL does not help, tell she/he you will deduct the cost of the inspection from the rent, then she/he is likely to look at it.

How long will the works next door go on for?

Options:-

1. Negotiate on a rent reduction if you want to stay.

2. Negotiate with the LL that you wish to vacate early. Bear in mind if the LL does not agree and you move out, they could sue you for the remaining term of the lease