Like Tree30Likes

Wet September / October

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    Seems like some friends report close to no rain yesterday while in Kowloon we suffered intermittent downpours for hours. Thunderstorm was also very impressive, closest it's been for me in a while.
    The heavy downpour was concentrated over HK Island and the Kowloon Peninsula. While the outlying islands was relatively spared. Sometimes its the opposite case, the New Territories and the islands get the brunt of the rainfall while the urban areas was dry. All a matter of chance and serendipity.

Do you remember the 21st night of September?
    Love was changing the minds of pretenders
    While chasing the clouds away
    Had this song playing on repeat whilst trudging through ankle deep water commuting home last night.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The heavy downpour was concentrated over HK Island and the Kowloon Peninsula. While the outlying islands was relatively spared. Sometimes its the opposite case, the New Territories and the islands get the brunt of the rainfall while the urban areas was dry. All a matter of chance and serendipity.
    Not all chance, HK does have reasonably well defined rainfall patterns, central/Eastern NT is a lot wetter than Lau Fau Shan /Tin Shui Wai.

Name:  rainfall_map.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  499.4 KB

Maybe all the poor folk up in TSW are the smart ones after all....
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Not all chance, HK does have reasonably well defined rainfall patterns, central/Eastern NT is a lot wetter than Lau Fau Shan /Tin Shui Wai.

Maybe all the poor folk up in TSW are the smart ones after all....
    Yes there is topographical influence on rainfall. Mountains like Tai Mo Shan and Lantau Peak receive higher rainfall because of their height. Lau Fau Shan is sort of in a "rain shadow" because of Tai Mo Shan. (Of course, I suppose if one is strict about these terms its a stretch to call it a rain shadow as storms do come not just from the South or East but also from the North, in which case Lau Fau Shan and Tin Shui Wai will get more rainfall).

Yes there is topographical influence on rainfall. Mountains like Tai Mo Shan and Lantau Peak receive higher rainfall because of their height. Lau Fau Shan is sort of in a "rain shadow" because of Tai Mo Shan. (Of course, I suppose if one is strict about these terms its a stretch to call it a rain shadow as storms do come not just from the South or East but also from the North, in which case Lau Fau Shan and Tin Shui Wai will get more rainfall).
    Indeed, what is interesting is that not a lot of people (locals and expats) seem to have a very good understanding of this. You almost never hear it cited as even a minor consideration by people when talking about where to live in HK.

I actually spent some time compiling the following data on rainfall in HK over the past 10 years and we can see there's a pretty big variance across the territory.

Anyone choosing a home between Waglan Island and Tait's cairn with almost 100% more rain at the latter, needs to make this their top priority!

But seriously, there is definitely something to be said for living around the edges of HK's territory and away from the harbour.

Name:  HK 10yr Rainfall 2020.png
Views: 283
Size:  1.60 MB
    Coolboy likes this.

How do I block the rain but not the air

I’m moving to a flat that has more exposure to the rain. Because the aluminum windows are not hinged on the top, the rain comes in. What is the standard solution (aside for shutting the windows and turning on the air conditioner) people used to create a louver mounted on the inside ?

Black rainstorm warning now.

The last day of September won't go out without another heavy rainstorm I guess.

What a difference a day makes. There is a strong easternly breeze and today is much drier (and hence more bearable) as well as noticeably a little cooler. I guess fall has arrived in HK.

gigglinggal and Sebastien-F like this.

What a difference a day makes. There is strong Easternly breeze and today is much drier (and hence more bearable) as well as noticeably a little cooler. I guess fall has arrived in HK.
    This is the earliest this weather has arrived in 4 autumn seasons here and it's most welcome!
    Coolboy and AsianXpat0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    This is the earliest this weather has arrived in 4 autumn seasons here and it's most welcome!
    Oh yeah. I certainly won't complain about an early arrival of fall. Such a refreshing feeling to be rid of that oppressive humidity.
    Cornmeal likes this.