Like Tree27Likes

lawyer needed for letter

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post lawyer needed for letter

Hello
    I am looking for a lawyer who can draft and sign a letter demanding a reduction of rent.
    Of course I would be able to do this myself but I was advised by a friend that a letter from a lawyer will help and actually can force the landlord to reduce the rent (if my reasoning stands)
    Any contacts recommended?

Theres probably no legal basis to demand a reduction of rent. Just make the demand yourself, but be prepared to move out if it fails.

On what basis can you DEMAND a rent reduction

Be prepared to get kicked out lol

The letter is intended to intimidate

ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    The letter is intended to intimidate
    is moving out a form of intimidation?

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    is moving out a form of intimidation?
    The same strategy shop tenants are using at the moment: if I move out you won't find a tenant soon and even if you do the rent will be much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    Theres probably no legal basis to demand a reduction of rent. Just make the demand yourself, but be prepared to move out if it fails.
    To be fair - it could be because of some conditions not being met. Maintenance, hygiene etc ...

Most legal letters would have to have some sort of stick attached to them - i.e. we will see you in court and seek blah blah damages etc. Not just "reduce our rent and if you don't agree, we'll pack up and move out". You don't need a lawyer for that - it is pretty obvious.

Am I right?

OP - Would end up costing you 3-10K (1-2 hours work depending on the law firm / cost..). I'd say if you've weighed your options and confident that such a letter would get you back a lot more than that - go for it with a local firm, you'll pay a fortune at the expaty law firms.
    ArrynField and hike like this.

Prepare for the worst.

I.e you need to find somewhere else, If my tenants played that game they’d be out at the earliest opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoledavies:
    Hello
    I am looking for a lawyer who can draft and sign a letter demanding a reduction of rent.
    Of course I would be able to do this myself but I was advised by a friend that a letter from a lawyer will help and actually can force the landlord to reduce the rent (if my reasoning stands)
    Any contacts recommended?
    Get a new friend. Unless you have a real basis for claiming the landlord is in breach, all you will do is piss them off (as well as incurring a bill). Most landlords in HK have deep pockets (see HKMA mortgage data) and thick skins and will have no issue with telling a lawyer to shove it.

Try negotiating and if that doesn't work, plan on giving notice as soon as the lease terms permit you to do so.

I would just like to point out that unless you have specific issues relating to the contract you signed and that he has defaulted upon, then you have Jack Shit to write through a lawyer, to him.

If you want them to consider something then write personally and ask. However, if you think stopping paying rent is an option BEWARE the law allows a landlord to quickly (days) to put an ex parte motion to a court and have it granted to take possession until the debt is paid + costs

Softly softly catchee monkey.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast