Like Tree51Likes

Snakes

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thanks, Cornmeal. Yes, we will trim the trees and the bush/shrubs around our house. We moved here from the Middle East, and I was so happy to rest my eyes on greenery rather than sand, so I let it all grow, but I can see that this has to change!!

I also live in a village in Sai Kung and hike regularly. I've only seen two live snakes in 8~1/2 years and therefore only 2 in the wild in my lifetime. Anecdotal evidence from friends and acquaintances suggest to me that I'm just not attentive enough!

As a result of me looking more in recent times I have ticked bats, badgers and porcupines off the list. Monkeys was too easy. Pink dolphins elusive though I read recently there are more sightings

The 4 Sai Kung cattle certainly get around. Was a bit worried recently when I only saw 3 twice. Then last week all 4 again.

Jillypots likes this.

And before any smart arse pops up yes I know I won't find a dolphin when hiking and I know the best place to find them

chingleutsch and Jillypots like this.

We see quite a few snakes of various sizes and species around our village. They are recognised as a free rat-control service so are generally left alone as long as they stay out of the buildings.
    At this time of year rats are moving down from the adjacent country park as the summer food supplies dry up so snakes are also quite active - those that don't have bulgy tummies are quite often sunning themselves in quieter areas to work up the energy for the next hunt.
    When the temperature drops a few degrees further, they will disappear into their holes and cracks for the winter.

Jillypots likes this.

Lived in Clear Water bay Village house for 11 years, jungle n brush on 3 side of my house, jungle/hill on the back of my house, saw many snakes, chopped a few to protect my dogs , one green baby snake bit one of dogs luckily its was small baby, cost me a few K$ for a vet visit.

Wild boars came up to my fence from the hill. Its all part of the adventures of living in the villages. Locals spread some powder around their fences to prevent snakes, not sure whats its called in English, not sure it even works LOL

Jillypots likes this.

The wildlife here is utterly incredible. In the last six months we’ve seen feral cows, wild pigs (plus piglets - so sweet!), monkeys, a hedgehog, and heard close by (but not seen) barking deer. It’s so amazing. Compared to 12 years in the Middle East where all we saw in the wild was camels, oryx and wild dogs. I do realise that if I want the sort of life that has those elements, I have to take the snakes too!

Coolboy and Jillypots like this.

https://www.hongkongsnakeid.com/

This is a great page too

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    And before any smart arse pops up yes I know I won't find a dolphin when hiking and I know the best place to find them
    Seen the pink dolphins twice. Over the years we've taken a few trips out on the Tai O tourist boat and saw them only once.

Last April we stayed at the Heritage Hotel in Tai O and just saw them off the peir there.

I think you're lucky to see snakes -- lucky as in they're beautiful and interesting, not rare. They're everywhere and you'll definitely see them in Hong Kong. I think it's only the bamboo pit vipers you need to "worry" about, as in keep an eye out not to cross in their way.

I have a fantastic memory of hiking by myself and encountering A SNAKE on Lantau. I had never seen anything the size of it moving with agility like it was. It was either a cobra or a python, but it was getting the heck out of my way. It was as if I only ever knew about house cats and then suddenly encountered a tiger. Absolutely majestic!

Just recently we finally got an counter with a slow-moving python off a path after some 8 years of hiking here. Not far from the town centre.

Jillypots likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast