Is christmas celebrated in HK?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is christmas celebrated in HK?

Can anyone tell me how much it is celebrated in HK? Is it a holiday on the 25th or do people go to work as usual? Does everyone spend time with family like we do in the west or do people go out with friends or just not celebrate it at all?

christmas day is a public holiday in HK. Most expats head home for the christmas holidays to be with their family or the family come over.

Its quiet in HK over christmas not so festive like other countries. But you do see decorations all over town etc...

Chinese New Year is celebrated in a bigger way.

fm7

Christmas day itself is a big shopping day. The whole season is very commercial, but usually in a fun way. Depending where you are from there is a lot less music and singing, but there are some good live "shows" especially in some of the malls.

As mentioned, a lot of expats go away - which is not all bad, really.

HK has Christmas Eve mass and Christmas Day mass too! Restaurants and hotels do serve the traditional spread, people do decorate trees and have other people over or go take in a show either at the theatre or public show at the mall.

People are festive, caring, giving.

A lot of the good local schools are Christian based and children end up taking up Christianity as a religion were their parents are Buddhists.

Xmas day is funny as McDonalds is usually packed.

Just because someone has asked me in regards to my previous post ... Nope most certainly not local and not on drugs.

I just have learned to selectively choose where I go on Christmas in Hong Kong. This means that I stay away from the Nathan Rd. scene and the hype shopping, been there done that a long time ago no need to go do it again.

Yeah, I agree with the others. Christmas in Hong Kong is some sort of special, very special.
    Back in Europe (well, at least in Germany) most of the people buy real christmas trees, no plastic ones. But here even the super-expensive hotels such as the MO in Central has plastic trees, isn't it a shame...?

MTR stations around Causeway Bay and TST have signs all around how to cope with the expected mass. Trains are running in 1-minute intervals or so...

I doubt that many local people really know what Christmas is all about. They just enjoy the days off and go shopping, shopping, shopping... Busy time for the shopping malls and dining scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby
    Just because someone has asked me in regards to my previous post ... Nope most certainly not local and not on drugs.

I just have learned to selectively choose where I go on Christmas in Hong Kong. This means that I stay away from the Nathan Rd. scene and the hype shopping, been there done that a long time ago no need to go do it again.
    Huh? Where do people do drugs on christmas? I'm confused!

Quote Originally Posted by vik85
    vik85 didn't mean to throw you, I was just responding to a comment sent via the ranking system.

Quote Originally Posted by vik85
    Of course at home with a bottle of Jack Daniels. Are u looking for some. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast