Like Tree23Likes

HK is infested with RATS...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I remember last month walking into Marketplace on Seymour Road (Mid-Levels), when it was nearly closing time. I was in the downstairs section and I was going towards the rice counters in the back. That's when I saw this big rat running across the floor and I scooted away and found someone who worked there, and told them. He expressed no surprise in fact he didn't have any sort of reaction to what I told him and didn't even walk to the area I mentioned. I then found another member of staff to tell her the same thing. Again no reaction, no comment. If people are so apathetic about rats, maybe this is part of the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    https://icatcare.org/understanding-t...-introduction/

In my limited experience with one stray cat, it continued to hunt and kill stray rats and snakes even when fed.
    Yeah they will play an terrorise them even if they are not killers, big deterrent. The smell of cat urine also is great a keep rats away.
    aw451 and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bbchris:
    I remember last month walking into Marketplace on Seymour Road (Mid-Levels), when it was nearly closing time. I was in the downstairs section and I was going towards the rice counters in the back. That's when I saw this big rat running across the floor and I scooted away and found someone who worked there, and told them. He expressed no surprise in fact he didn't have any sort of reaction to what I told him and didn't even walk to the area I mentioned. I then found another member of staff to tell her the same thing. Again no reaction, no comment. If people are so apathetic about rats, maybe this is part of the problem?
    Yes, very much part of the problem. I see it much like the other examples we all know of Chinese culture not caring about the wider well being of others, mostly just their own circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Yes, very much part of the problem. I see it much like the other examples we all know of Chinese culture not caring about the wider well being of others, mostly just their own circle.
    Making generalized racist statements about Chinese are we?

I am clearly seeing the number of rats increasing and their size too...

My guess is that a very large percentage of restaurants we are eating at in HK Island have a herd of rats in their back alleys.... kitches are at the back of restaurants and one door away from alley full of rats... great!

Is Hong Kong really that oversaturated with bankers?

Last edited by TheDevil_666; 16-02-2021 at 09:38 AM.

I was shocked to see a lone rat casually walk in front of me in our apartment complex the other night !

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I know one thing about HK rat's, they love chewing on car engine related plasticks/rubber, especially Mercedes Benz and Ferrari's from my experience. I had one rat or family of rats just chew the living shiz out of the hood/bonnet noise insulation foam rubber, literally typewriter chewed it until there was no insulation left, they ate the lot. The other instance was when a family ( which I eventually found living under the spare wheel in the nose) chewed thrown the heater hose one day when I was warming the car up to take it for a drive one Saturday morning and the moment the thermostat opened the cabin steamed up and I got hot water streaming down the dash and on my leg ! I fixed the hose with a copper sleeve and some crimp clamps, plus set off a few fumigation bombs under the car and inside the under the bonnet with the car cover over the whole car and killed everything that was living in it. PITA though!
    Buddy had an old banger and we went out one day and popped the lid and about 3 rats scurried into the back. turned the engine on and they scarpered in all directions, it was hilarious. they had chewed a fair bit of foam and hosing and left a massive lumps of shit on the ground under the engine block.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles:
    I see a lot of cats near the park at Sheung Wan and see someone bring them food regularly. The stairs going up to mid-levels also has a lot of stray cats and I see tinned cat food left around the area.
    Yes the Mid Levels Stray Cat Colony which has been fed and taken care of by feeders for years. The cats are not a nuisance but keep the rat and mouse population down. No need for toxic rat poison when you have cats.

Quote Originally Posted by mysti:
    I was shocked to see a lone rat casually walk in front of me in our apartment complex the other night !
    I remember ( fondly) seeing them scamper along the tracks of the London Tube late at night. Rarely see them mornings as on one has discarded food let alone the odd crumb early in the morning.