Like Tree44Likes

What is your opinion on Uber?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    , but their cars are still mostly old, uncomfortable and sometimes smelly.
    Now there is an understatement
    ByeByeEngland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Depends where you are in the world. In Hong Kong it absolutely sucks - so awful it makes HK taxis look the epitome of good service.
    Curios by your statement, my experience is the complete opposite - taxi vs Uber in HK. Can you share more why it sucks for you?

I book a car, car arrives, brings me to my destination. No haggling, no complaints even if the destination is near, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles:
    Curios by your statement, my experience is the complete opposite - taxi vs Uber in HK. Can you share more why it sucks for you?

I book a car, car arrives, brings me to my destination. No haggling, no complaints even if the destination is near, etc.
    Sure:

1. repeated instances of drivers accepting my order, seeing 5-6 minutes to arrival on my phone and then seeing it increase to 10-20 minutes (or longer) when they're supposedly a minute or two away, This was pretty much the norm

2. three instances of drivers (already well over the initial time to arrive) insisting that they were "here" when the GPS map showed them on the other side of the City U campus (at least a couple of blocks away)

3. several instances of drivers accepting orders and then cancelling quite some time later

In fact I never had a driver arrive within the original estimated arrival time.
    alexdown likes this.

Sure:

1. repeated instances of drivers accepting my order, seeing 5-6 minutes to arrival on my phone and then seeing it increase to 10-20 minutes (or longer) when they're supposedly a minute or two away, This was pretty much the norm

2. three instances of drivers (already well over the initial time to arrive) insisting that they were "here" when the GPS map showed them on the other side of the City U campus (at least a couple of blocks away)

3. several instances of drivers accepting orders and then cancelling quite some time later

Ola has the "4 minute challenge" in New Zealand (Auckland) and the "5 minute challenge" in Australia. If you car doesnt arrive in 4 or 5 minutes, you get 50% off

They are very good at optimising their local business models to suit local legislation whilst giving a similar user experiance.

The problem isn't Uber it is cronified executive and dysfunctional legislative branches of governments. The worst ave tried to ban it whilst ignoring its actual existance while the best have force Uber to treat employees as employees.

I am curious...how would you compare Uber to other ride hailing companies, like Didi in China or Lyft in the US? Is Uber better or worse than them? How do they differ in service and pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    I am curious...how would you compare Uber to other ride hailing companies, like Didi in China or Lyft in the US? Is Uber better or worse than them? How do they differ in service and pricing?
    Didi is popular in Australia because cheaper and just as good (if not better) than Uber.

I always thought it was crazy that Didi had English version in China when I used to visit Shanghai, they have English version in Australia, but every time I tried to use in Hong Kong they had only Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese. Have they fixed this problem yet and started offering English in HK?

Australia price comparison
    Name:  Didi.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  33.8 KB
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Didi is popular in Australia because cheaper and just as good (if not better) than Uber.

I always thought it was crazy that Didi had English version in China when I used to visit Shanghai, they have English version in Australia, but every time I tried to use in Hong Kong they had only Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese. Have they fixed this problem yet and started offering English in HK?

Interesting, how about car cleanliness and driver attitude, Uber vs Didi?

Sure:

I’ve had the opposite. Taxi’s booked via the HK Taxi app telling me they are there when I’m standing right outside. Trying to book via the app and not a single taxi taking it up (used Uber after and car within 5 mins), this was HK side as well. Numerous taxis that tell me they don’t know where I’m going. Being dropped off in the wrong place. The list goes on.
    Coolboy, TheBrit and blueagles like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Interesting, how about car cleanliness and driver attitude, Uber vs Didi?
    Well my last Didi in Perth, I had a Nigerian guy rock up in a beat up Ford Falcon. But yeah he was nice enough and an interesting chat, and btw in Australia if only one person riding we always sit in the front seat of the car. Only snobs sit in the back seat
    Coolboy and Skyhook like this.