Like Tree89Likes

Rainbow Cafe: One Last Hurrah

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Hong Kong is brutally unsentimental for such establishments.
    https://www.scmp.com/magazines/hk-ma...29/kenneth-tse
    Thats because with rental space being so expensive (and in the pre-pandemic/protest days, also in high demand), landlords feel zero attachment to their retail tenants, its all about how much money the landlords can squeeze out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    There is another thread going around that mentions that construction workers are paid 50k a month, I'm guessing this is more than restaurant workers.

I don't think that young people are unwilling to do physical labour anymore, it's just that they have plenty of better-paying options than cha can teengs if they decide to do so!!
    That is a lot of salary, 50K per month and way higher than the average restaurant worker gets. Even in 5* hotels, their salaries are some of the lowest. Just above minimum wage.

Name:  20210326_182011.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  10.94 MB

Pity I only have A5 left, that's just a quick sketch, will add the colours tomorrow
    drumbrake, shri, emx and 11 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:

Pity I only have A5 left, that's just a quick sketch, will add the colours tomorrow
    That's FLAWLESS. THANK YOU.
    spode likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Thats because with rental space being so expensive (and in the pre-pandemic/protest days, also in high demand), landlords feel zero attachment to their retail tenants, its all about how much money the landlords can squeeze out of them.
    Not always the case though.

A lot of these mom and pop stores own the property and don’t pay rent.

We’re commercial landlords and our tenants are loyal having been with us for over 15 years.

We’ve dropped the rent a few times first during the protests and now through Covid.
    Coolboy, huja, spode and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Not always the case though.

A lot of these mom and pop stores own the property and don’t pay rent.

We’re commercial landlords and our tenants are loyal having been with us for over 15 years.

We’ve dropped the rent a few times first during the protests and now through Covid.
    Well there are always exceptions, like your case. But I am talking about the majority cases, the general trend. It's a fact that in the last two decades many mom and pop stores were driven out to be replaced by large retail chains. The variety of stores has also declined. As the new shops cater, in some cases, almost exclusively to tourists over locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well there are always exceptions, like your case. But I am talking about the majority cases, the general trend. It's a fact that in the last two decades many mom and pop stores were driven out to be replaced by large retail chains. The variety of stores has also declined. As the new shops cater, in some cases, almost exclusively to tourists over locals.
    True but then the big luxury brands are pulling out too.
    LVMH are pulling out of Times Square etc.

https://youtu.be/yle4cZ3uN9k

is that your uncle?

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    https://youtu.be/yle4cZ3uN9k

is that your uncle?
    The gentleman at 2:28 is my uncle, the restaurant belonged to his side of the family.
    aquaman and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    True but then the big luxury brands are pulling out too.
    LVMH are pulling out of Times Square etc.
    Due to the pandemic and excessive rent. Frankly, I'm not sorry to see these bg chains go. Nice to see less reliance on a similar set of multinational retail chains.