Like Tree89Likes

Rainbow Cafe: One Last Hurrah

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    The gentleman at 2:28 is my uncle, the restaurant belonged to his side of the family.
    That fat dude with glasses at the very start of the clip sounds like he's interrogating the owner. Like, what the hell?

As for the closure, correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming no one is willing to take over the family business, correct? The clip said the brothers are getting old and don't have the stamina to keep working like before? Its a common issue for many family business, the younger generation not willing to inherit the business. Especially local eateries, its particularly tough with long hours and customers deserting you the moment your food quality goes slightly down.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 27-03-2021 at 06:14 PM.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

I don’t think you can be profitable to operate a cha Chan tang as a stand-alone shop anymore

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    That fat dude with glasses at the very start of the clip sounds like he's interrogating the owner. Like, what the hell?

As for the closure, correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming no one is willing to take over the family business, correct? The clip said the brothers are getting old and don't have the stamina to keep working like before? Its a common issue for many family business, the younger generation not willing to inherit the business. Especially local eateries, its particularly tough with long hours and customers deserting you the moment your food quality goes slightly down.
    There's competition from Mikiki, you know the eateries that attract all of the marketing but shut up shop not long after.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    My uncle's cafe (Rainbow Cafe) in San Po Kong is closing for good after 55 years of business-it's very much a neighbourhood greasy spoon, no nonsense, no fuss joint with great cha chaan teng food, it shuts on the 31st. of this month forever. Please, if anyone's in the area (KLC.) do stop by, great staff, even better food and perfect prices. I recommend the adzuki bean drink and their beef noodles.

Address,
    8 Choi Hong Road, San Po Kong, opposite the Catholic school.
    Just watched the Youtube interview with your uncle and came across this forum thread. Very sad to keep losing these HK neighborhood icons, but glad your uncle and his brother can get some rest. All the best!!
    Hope I can make it before they close in a few days :"(

Thanks for posting it here, I will try to make it before the last day.

shri likes this.