Like Tree48Likes

"secret photography" ethics

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Was in a restaurant with friends a few years ago, and one friend took their phone and set it to the front camera and stepped a few feet away from the table and held out their arm to get a selfie of us all including himself.

Lady at the next table over thought he was taking a picture of her children (perhaps since he stepped away from our table and was facing her table while holding the camera up - but it was high and an obvious selfie). She yelled and ran toward my friend, who was confused. Lady's daughter tried to grab mother's arm saying "it's a selfie, Mom!" Took almost a full minute to resolve this. Daughter seemed very embarrassed, and the rest of us were just annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    It is common for local Chinese to want to take pictures of expat kids especially if they're blonde, much the same as they're overly keen on mickey mouse and cutesy puppies. To each their own I suppose.
    Or....If your children are mixed Chinese / European, although it was usually school girls taking the photo's in our experience not men. I never had a problem with it as they nearly always asked first.

Have to say I, these days we don't experience lots of folks armed with the obligatory mega dollar DSLR draped around their necks, in fact in 3 years since we left HK haven't seen a single one lol HK it was a pretty typical sight, in a way I don't really miss it. Photographing someone's kids over here will incite a bit of a negative reaction, so people just don't or wont do it unless they are family and have permission first.

Different world that has a laundry list of different social rules these days thanks to the minority echo chamber that screams blue bloody murder about stuff just like this.

It is what it is and something we all need to just accept.
    Plutark likes this.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ong-kong-legal

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    What kind of trouble?

There are some restrictions, but in general you can take pictures when you are in a public space - such as on the street. You don't need permission from the people in the photo - unless it is a commercial photo. Or - I think - if you show them in a humiliating situation.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't get into awkward situations where someone stops you and questions you about what you are doing...

There is a section for HK here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law

Its poor etiquette to take pics and video of people without their permission unless they are far in the background and the intent is not to capture them while filming something else OR if they are commiting a crime then its OK. Its the kind of invasive BS that leads to perverts taking upskirt photos, installing hidden cams in toilets etc for which the criminal should be hung from a tree IMO.

ArrynField and calmathetic9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Really, people take photos of your kids all the time? Anyone else experience this? Is it a Hong Kong thing?
    Had a cute red-headed kid, people took her pic from time to time and this was the OLD days (film). Ended up on TV once wearing a dress that was an American flag, watching the 4th of July parade. As long as she was wearing clothes (which, umm, she always was...) I didn't really care.

Then when we moved to Japan...yeah, bunch of pics of her as well, kind of stands out in a crowd of black-haired people. Probably a few pervie guys in Japan even, lot of "girls in school uniform" fetishes...still didn't freak out about it...

I also had a crazy cute dog (mutt) that was the subject of much photography...
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Had a cute red-headed kid, people took her pic from time to time and this was the OLD days (film). Ended up on TV once wearing a dress that was an American flag, watching the 4th of July parade. As long as she was wearing clothes (which, umm, she always was...) I didn't really care.

Then when we moved to Japan...yeah, bunch of pics of her as well, kind of stands out in a crowd of black-haired people. Probably a few pervie guys in Japan even, lot of "girls in school uniform" fetishes...still didn't freak out about it...

I also had a crazy cute dog (mutt) that was the subject of much photography...
    But your hamspter was the cutest of all!
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    But your hamspter was the cutest of all!
    Did someone mention hamster? Here she is this afternoon, Fei Bo's successor, BoBo...

AsianXpat0, hullexile and z754103 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Its poor etiquette to take pics and video of people without their permission unless they are far in the background and the intent is not to capture them while filming something else OR if they are commiting a crime then its OK. Its the kind of invasive BS that leads to perverts taking upskirt photos, installing hidden cams in toilets etc for which the criminal should be hung from a tree IMO.
    Jesus, you’ve got a bloody high opinion of yourself if you think there’s people constantly lurking in the background waiting to get salacious pictures of you.

You clearly have little understating of how many aspects of professional/serious photography occur.

There’s many genres where you can’t get a good shot without permission and many where you can’t get a good shot unless there’s no permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Sounds like you're paranoid. You should stay out of public places.
    call it what ever but photos if the least of it, people come start touching them and say "oh you are so cute", if they are in a pram you develop kung fu style blocking of hands when people go for them... touching their head arm, stroke the face....

In one case it was so brazen after touching one of my kids faces with both hands, I went to her and touched her face with both hands too... she was in total shock.... And tried to rationalise with her of what she was doing...

There are people with very low EQs and children for them are very cute and what to intereact with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    call it what ever but photos if the least of it, people come start touching them and say "oh you are so cute", if they are in a pram you develop kung fu style blocking of hands when people go for them... touching their head arm, stroke the face....

In one case it was so brazen after touching one of my kids faces with both hands, I went to her and touched her face with both hands too... she was in total shock.... And tried to rationalise with her of what she was doing...

There are people with very low EQs and children for them are very cute and what to intereact with them.
    Ha ha, ok I’ll call it Chinese culture.

Hardly kiddy fiddling and little to do with street photography too.

I guess Covid’s put a stop to all that though.
    hike likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast