Like Tree46Likes

Businesses that have closed

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    THE FLYING PAN = racist?? can you explain how and why that name is racist to you??? or are you talking / thinking about something else??
    If you ever stood inside a UK Chinese takeaway in the 1970s and 1980s, you'd get it,
    jabalong and rkenia852 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I was talking to someone recently about this, he was pretty sanguine about it, said that new businesses would open - but it's still a pity to lose places which have years, or decades, of history, character and memories, and some places will never be replaced.
    Some say one doesn't lose the memory of something but they invariably dull over time. But if you still have the place or the item, it's amazing how quickly the memories coming flooding back. The only constant in life is change but sometimes I find HK just simply changes too much and too fast for it's own good, forcing the memories, characters, and lessons to fade into the twilight.
    Sage and Baklava like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hkaneshiro:
    funny thing is with all the F&B issues and unemployment, why are employers still reticent to get their staff to vaccinate (or provide a medical exemption?)

i mean if the employee doesn't want to get vaxxed, then too bad, won't there be someone else to replace them? or will the business risk being boycotted by the "yellow" group as it can be seen to toe the government's line?
    The problem with the expansion of hours is - one mistake and the enforcement can shut you down for 14 days. Not worth it.
    etienne43 and traineeinvestor like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yeah, it's not a big thing. Just something I thought on seeing the sign when I first moved here years back. Struck me as odd.

"Two portions of flied lice please"
    hullexile and jabalong like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hkaneshiro:
    funny thing is with all the F&B issues and unemployment, why are employers still reticent to get their staff to vaccinate (or provide a medical exemption?)

i mean if the employee doesn't want to get vaxxed, then too bad, won't there be someone else to replace them? or will the business risk being boycotted by the "yellow" group as it can be seen to toe the government's line?
    Because it's against the law to terminate an employee if they don't want to be vaccinated.

Imagine the shit healthcare managers are going through.

Sad times Nomads is closing too.

What’s happening with Rat alley in LKF? Is it still all boarded up?

TaD_LaLa likes this.

RIP Nomads

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    On my last visit from the Philippines I went in there for a fry up. Enjoyed it a lot, then converted the bill to peso and remembered how expensive Hong Kong can be.
    Of course the it's sad business are closing down but in all honesty flying pan really doesn't offer a whole lot more than what you can knock up in your own kitchen for literally a fraction of the cost. There's a lot of cafes now doing English breakfasts but being creative or doing something really well (like sourdough or lobster all day bfast), I'm afraid the FP just didn't cut it for me

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    It’s reopening as a different brasserie concept. Read about it a few weeks ago but can’t remember the details.
    Walked passed it over the weekend. Some sort of gastropub thingy. Was too distracted by the neon pink colors to remember the name.

But yes, there is a new place opened at the Little Creatures place.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Sad times Nomads is closing too.

What’s happening with Rat alley in LKF? Is it still all boarded up?
    Only 1 opened up I think it’s Lucky Thai in the right corner.