• 1 Post By shri
  • 3 Post By timonoj
  • 2 Post By timonoj
  • 1 Post By timonoj

I-cable broadband internet bill

Closed Thread

I-cable broadband internet bill

Hello All,

In the beginning of the year, I moved to a serviced apartment and still had a year left in my contract with i-cable so I asked them to change my service address but they said that they cannot provide service to the new location, so I should find someone to takeover my contract instead.

When I signed up, the salesperson told me I would be able to change my address any time and that if they don't provide service to the new address, they would allow the contract to be broken. I told this to i-cable but they said that my new address is considered a serviced apartment/hotel so that rule does not apply. I felt lied to and I already moved from the old address with no one using the service since the new tenant switched to another provider. Last month, I also returned to Canada and will be staying here unless I decide to move back to hk in the future.

Under the advice of others, I stopped paying the bill since Feb and now they've all of a sudden sent an email statement saying I owe $5000+ (with no explanation on what these charges are for), which is way more than the amount even if I were to pay for the rest of the 12 months of monthly charges.

I'm both an hk citizen and a Canadian, and just wonder what would happen if I don't pay up. I assumed they would just cut the internet, but are they going to keep charging me and applying these fees out of nowhere? Also, will this affect my credit or get me in trouble with the law, immigration or police?

Any info would be much appreciated, thank you.

Start here:

https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/co...ocomplain.html

and here - but note..

As the telecommunications market of Hong Kong is now fully liberalised and highly competitive, we have adopted a light-handed approach in the regulation of the telecommunications industry. We rely on market forces and competition wherever possible to enhance and safeguard consumer interest. We shall not intervene the business operation of telecommunications operators, unless the market forces fail to ensure that our policy objectives are met.
    https://eform.one.gov.hk/form/oca021/en/
    timonoj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

Please do this. I complained about a different issue a few years back (my service was completely unreliable, so I wanted to cancel the contract). Provide them with proof of the contract and any other communication exchange you might have, or they will not investigate. But once they start, oh boy does Icable get scared. I-Cable called me, assigning me a personal account manager to handle the whole contract cancellation until all the paperwork was finished.

Thank you everyone. But one problem is that all 3 times I communicated with them about this issue was over the phone and I dont have any record of what was exchanged. I'll still try to file a complaint but I'm not sure I can prove they lied to me.

Quote Originally Posted by iveevee:
    Thank you everyone. But one problem is that all 3 times I communicated with them about this issue was over the phone and I dont have any record of what was exchanged. I'll still try to file a complaint but I'm not sure I can prove they lied to me.
    You still have the contract. Send them that. All my calls were over the phone so I also didn't have any additional proof other than my contract and my complaint. They still initiated the investigation. But if you don't give them proof that you have a contract with them, I think they'll just ignore it.
    VillanElle and shri like this.

Thank you so much

Failing all this... can you tell them you're moving somewhere with no coverage, and therefore will qualify for the bullshit break clause they are citing?

Find a friend / make up an address in a small village on Lantau or something. How are they to know where you really moved to....

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    Failing all this... can you tell them you're moving somewhere with no coverage, and therefore will qualify for the bullshit break clause they are citing?

Find a friend / make up an address in a small village on Lantau or something. How are they to know where you really moved to....
    I think they need you to provide proof of address like a electricity bill with your name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    You still have the contract. Send them that. All my calls were over the phone so I also didn't have any additional proof other than my contract and my complaint. They still initiated the investigation. But if you don't give them proof that you have a contract with them, I think they'll just ignore it.
    I submitted a claim but I'm not sure if they're able to do anything about it as they sent an email saying they forwarded my case to i-cable but also said this:

"Please note that, the powers and functions of CA in regulating the telecommunication operators are conferred by the Telecommunications Ordinance and the licence conditions, and should not exceed the scope stipulated by the relevant provisions. We have no power or role in the settlement of contractual and money disputes between individual customers."

Hmmmmm they didn't say anything like that before, I think. Best of luck!

Also found this...I don't think this scheme existed before. Just in case this doesn't pan out:
    http://ccss.cahk.hk/en/pdf/CCSS%20Cu...%20(final).pdf

iveevee likes this.