Like Tree12Likes

What if you can't use Cantonese for a day?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question What if you can't use Cantonese for a day?

Hi, I am a local student working on a school project about the the impact to people's speech abilities if locals can't use English and native English speakers can't use Cantonese for a day. I know few native English speakers so I am asking for your help. If you do decide to participate, just reply below if/how not use Cantonese affect how you talk to others, and maybe include a few Cantonese words that you wanted to use. Thank you for your time!

My middle finger is understandable in any language.

blandy62 likes this.

@HKO2006 many of us would be happy to help answer a survey to help you. You ask two questions in one "if/how". Could you maybe write your questions as one question each? Try to be a bit more specific. Maybe you can write a list of 3-5 questions?

Quote Originally Posted by HKO2006:
    Hi, I am a local student working on a school project about the the impact to people's speech abilities if locals can't use English and native English speakers can't use Cantonese for a day. I know few native English speakers so I am asking for your help. If you do decide to participate, just reply below if/how not use Cantonese affect how you talk to others, and maybe include a few Cantonese words that you wanted to use. Thank you for your time!
    Interesting topic thanks .
    OK I am native English speaker I can read and write traditional characters and easily read a Chinese newspaper and technical papers in my job field.
    My spoken Canto is near fluent except technical terms outside my field
    I am the only foreigner in a very large company and if I could not speak canto I wouldn't be able to even start my job every day as all colleagues use canto and a good number have no English ability at all and further more the computer system I must use is in Chinese mainly

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    Interesting topic thanks .
    OK I am native English speaker I can read and write traditional characters and easily read a Chinese newspaper and technical papers in my job field.
    My spoken Canto is near fluent except technical terms outside my field
    I am the only foreigner in a very large company and if I could not speak canto I wouldn't be able to even start my job every day as all colleagues use canto and a good number have no English ability at all
    Thank you for the reply. In that case, just imagine what the difficulties would be if you can't use Cantonese.

Thank you for the reply. In that case, just imagine what the difficulties would be if you can't use Cantonese.
    It's hard for us to imagine if we can't use Cantonese because we can, even if just a little. If you ask instead: when you cannot speak any mutual languages, what difficulties would you have? Because all of us likely have experiences in some culture/language without a mutual language. Like, I've had experiences in Japan unable to speak any Japanese -- would you like me to share those difficulties?

What sort of question is that? If you can't use Cantonese then you don't.

8 Years in HK, no cantonese at all, no problem at all....

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    It's hard for us to imagine if we can't use Cantonese because we can, even if just a little. If you ask instead: when you cannot speak any mutual languages, what difficulties would you have? Because all of us likely have experiences in some culture/language without a mutual language. Like, I've had experiences in Japan unable to speak any Japanese -- would you like me to share those difficulties?
    Thank you for suggesting but the school project focuses on Cantonese and English so Japanese would be out of the scope.

Yes I would have to find a new job immediately
    z754103 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast