Like Tree8Likes

Which HK banks provide debit cards (visa/mastercard)?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    It's annoying SC doesn't offer debit cards.
    The Standard Chartered "ATM Card" is a Union Pay debit card. I agree not as good as a Visa/Mastercard, but you can still use it everywhere in HK just like a credit card, add it to google pay/Apple pay on your phone and pay for things by tapping your phone everywhere. So in this sense is fine, but if you are looking to purchase things online from UK stores etc then probably doesnt work.

But honestly, I'm not very comfortable using debit cards because they link directly to your savings account. Lets say I have a million dollars in my savings account. The debit card has access to all of this and in the wrong hands could send me broke. Sure there may be some kind of 'buyer protection' and you might get your money back if there there is some fraud committed. But I still don't like it. I much prefer a credit card that has a separate 'bucket' (credit limit) from which it draws from and not your savings directly. Call me old fashioned.

Oh, and the other important thing about the Standard Chartered ATM cards, you can get Marvel branding! Choose between Iron man, Ant Man and Captain America. You can't do this with HSBC

ZA Bank has a HKD debit card /ATM card (uses Visa) - physical card is provided.

Livi Bank has a HKD debit card (uses Mastercard) - no physical card, relies on Apple Pay / Google Pay or UnionPay for in-store purchases.

I've used both for online purchases and the Livi one for Amazon US without issue (ZA Bank should work for non-HKD online as well).

Both run various promotions from time-to-time (ex. ZA Bank has 11% rebate Deliveroo, coffee promotions, etc)

hannah01 and greenlover1991 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Trader:
    ZA Bank has a HKD debit card /ATM card (uses Visa) - physical card is provided.

Livi Bank has a HKD debit card (uses Mastercard) - no physical card, relies on Apple Pay / Google Pay or UnionPay for in-store purchases.

I've used both for online purchases and the Livi one for Amazon US without issue (ZA Bank should work for non-HKD online as well).

Both run various promotions from time-to-time (ex. ZA Bank has 11% rebate Deliveroo, coffee promotions, etc)
    Woah! Didn't know about Livi Bank. ZA - just here and there in an advertisement. I'll have a look on these two but I'm not used to dealing with virtual banks.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The Standard Chartered "ATM Card" is a Union Pay debit card. I agree not as good as a Visa/Mastercard, but you can still use it everywhere in HK just like a credit card, add it to google pay/Apple pay on your phone and pay for things by tapping your phone everywhere. So in this sense is fine, but if you are looking to purchase things online from UK stores etc then probably doesnt work.

But honestly, I'm not very comfortable using debit cards because they link directly to your savings account. Lets say I have a million dollars in my savings account. The debit card has access to all of this and in the wrong hands could send me broke. Sure there may be some kind of 'buyer protection' and you might get your money back if there there is some fraud committed. But I still don't like it. I much prefer a credit card that has a separate 'bucket' (credit limit) from which it draws from and not your savings directly. Call me old fashioned.

Oh, and the other important thing about the Standard Chartered ATM cards, you can get Marvel branding! Choose between Iron man, Ant Man and Captain America. You can't do this with HSBC

True that. I hadn't thought about that. I just thought that with credit cards, I'm tempted to spend too much (I've done it and regretted it but ever since then, "rehabilitated" my spending habits).

Hsbc debit card -- no charges for online purchases here or overseas. Any "hidden" costs?

https://www.hsbc.com.hk/debit-cards/...EaAhGJEALw_wcB
    Last edited by hannah01; 20-05-2021 at 11:49 AM.

JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    buy card, and add value at circle K;
    limited to HKD 3,000 (I think the limit can be extended to 5k);
    It is fine for online purchases internationally, and locally;
    for foreign currency transactions they do charge fx fee
    chuckster007 likes this.