Like Tree8Likes

Which HK banks provide debit cards (visa/mastercard)?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which HK banks provide debit cards (visa/mastercard)?

Umm...I know this is an age old topic. Found an old thread as well https://geoexpat.com/forum/amp-thread339339.html but it is pretty much inconclusive. Citibank's 2 in 1 (ATM and Debit) card sounded good but the poster mentions that the card can't be used for online shopping (yikes!!). I especially need the debit cards for shopping online (UK stores) and sending gifts to the parents and friends in the UK.

There are those almighty credit cards one can flaunt, but I've washed off my hands from those stuffs after my own cc fiasco a few years back ( sworn not to use them until I'm at least over 30, or maybe 35 so that my brain gains some more financial wisdom).

So, folks?

Last edited by hannah01; 18-05-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Son has a Mox issued debit card.

Last edited by shri; 19-05-2021 at 08:42 AM.
    jimbo_jones and aw451 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    So has a Mox issued debit card.
    For OP - Make sure to ignore any credit card offers from Mox and it will act like a scheme debit card.

Apple Pay, Google work. etc. There are fx fees on top of fx transactions, based on mastercard rate (like most mastercards)

If you have friends with Mox you can get a refferal code and earn yourself 100 and your friend can get at least $100.
    https://mox.com/promotions/
    hannah01 likes this.

Albeit I am pretty sure that an HK debit card will be seen as a credit card by a UK retailer, so you'll be charged credit card fees. (I assume that's what you mean by needing a debit card for UK online shopping and gifts?)

HSBC One has a debit card with major foreign currencies including GBP.

Elefant&Castle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Albeit I am pretty sure that an HK debit card will be seen as a credit card by a UK retailer, so you'll be charged credit card fees. (I assume that's what you mean by needing a debit card for UK online shopping and gifts?)
    Woah!! Really??? But as long as the card fulfills my needs, it should be okay (shrug). At least, I will be careful with the spending (because the money will be directly deducted from my own funds).

Quote Originally Posted by james_hklocal:
    I was so excited with that but the memory chips reminded me that I've had a bitter relationship with HSBC in the past that led me to packing off my things and moving to Standard Chartered. It's annoying SC doesn't offer debit cards.

MOX is an SC brand/offshoot, but yeah - no debit card from the main brand as far as I know.

Thanks, I had no idea this had been widened out (it used to just be for Jade customers). 3 second application process and card on the way. Feels like getting back to civilisation... except I'll doubtless still carry a wallet full of credit cards for the occasional worthwhile savings and offers.

Nice - I see it is also on Premiere - just have to apply for it. Why don't they issue that by default instead of the ATM card they have now - which is effectively a union pay debit card.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast