Like Tree89Likes

Injury suffered by train doors closing - MTR Admitted Driver at Fault

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_cherry:
    A couple of days ago, there was an incident whilst I was trying to board the train in which the driver intentionally closed the door on me as I was stepping onto the train from the platform. My leg as a result fell straight through the gap and I was wedged between the train and the platform.

The driver never got out of the train to see if I was ok. Instead, he was indifferent as he repeatedly beeped the sound of the door closure, pressuring me (from his cabin) to either get on or off.

I landed on my inner thigh and suffered cuts and bruises but no broken bones and didn't need the hospital. I was able to stand up and walk but was a bit shaken and shocked by what had just happened.

I immediately reported the incident to the Manager at the nearest MTR Train Station, and later the MTR Manager reviewed the CCTV. He then immediately called me that evening and again the next day, to repeatedly confirm that the driver was at fault. The MTR took full responsibility and said that this is against their policy, admitted their driver was wrong, and shouldn't have done what he did.

They may be reprimanding him.

What I want to know is whether I am owed any sort of compensation as a result, and how best to ask for this.

I'd appreciate your advice. Thank you in advance.
    If they took your address the will post you the free guide below

https://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/corpo...etybooklet.pdf

If they didn't take your address there is a free guide above

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:
    When all trains doors and platform screen doors are fully closed and locked then a signal is sent to the PCC( Central command post) and then a signal sent back to the train for authorization to leave. Then the driver can activate the command button for the train.
    In case of signalling system failure then the train driver can do it in manual.
    Strange, as in other metro systems there are cluster of monitors with live feeds at the platform end for the driver to view several shots of the platform/doors from various places.

What if someone just fainted and gets stuck in the gap? Doors just open and close on them till they slide under the train or a hapless idiot comes to the rescue?

OP needs to give us more details as there is a gap in her story.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    I have observed that many people rush without taking into consideration their fitness levels. I once saw some people trying to touch the ring at a basket ball court. I could have went all-in that this would never have happened, but it didn’t stop them from trying. Very quaint indeed.

The last time I rushed on the train, I immediately activated my fast twitch muscles and explosively bolted through the alighted passengers. Being highly dexterous, I morphed my body into a torpedo-like shape and threaded my massive frame through the closing door. Landed right in front of a girl who had her heart in her hands for a 9.6 landing.
    Yes, but not everyone's legs go all the way up like yours!

https://youtu.be/yWPLsJvJ7iw
    DimSumBond likes this.

The driver cannot close the doors without the announcement happening at least once. Ignore the warnings at your own peril.

MTR bylaws state (1) No person shall enter or leave or attempt to enter or leave any train after the doors have commenced to close.

It's a summary offence with a fine of $2000. OP is lucky for not being fined. Please stand back from the train doors doo doo doo

bak875 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Strange, as in other metro systems there are cluster of monitors with live feeds at the platform end for the driver to view several shots of the platform/doors from various places.

What if someone just fainted and gets stuck in the gap? Doors just open and close on them till they slide under the train or a hapless idiot comes to the rescue?

OP needs to give us more details as there is a gap in her story.

Yes, but not everyone's legs go all the way up like yours!

https://youtu.be/yWPLsJvJ7iw
    FFS, have you just arrived in HK or something? Hapless Idiots do not come to the rescue, they stand and gawp and maybe film. If they can close their mouths in the process, you can count yourself spared one indignity.
    Peaky and angeluscomplex like this.

1)Please go to the hospital to see the doctor and show him your injury and get painkillers. It is still not too late.
    Because people suffer shock so they do not feel the pain right away.

2) write down in absolute detail the conversation between you and the supervisor and send it to the MTR legal department saying that they MUST keep the CCTV footage as evidence (from platform and train) as evidence otherwise it is deleted. This will be your evidence of the conversation, time, date, who you spoke to, what they said, confirming it was there fault.

3) you can get 45 min free telephone legal advice (might be shorter ). Go to the hong kong law society page there is a pro bono list of law firms for perjury injury.

4) go back to the station and call the police so that when they come you ask to see the cctv because under the privacy ordinance you have a right to see it. They will most likely refuse but what you want is a case number even though it was a few days ago.

5) go read the cases.
    type in key words advance search MTR doors closing personal injury..do your own homework read all the cases to find one that matches you.

https://legalref.judiciary.hk/lrs/co...selDatabase=JU

Eva C and ArrynField like this.

An elderly woman fell through the gap on East Rail in 2016. Barriers have been installed now.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...as-woman-falls

angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:
    How the driver can intentionally close the train doors......You know that everything is automatic for the opening and closing of the train doors as well as the platform screen doors....we call that signaling system...
    The driver is just there to drive the train and control the speed train...

In station if there is no signal fault from the train doors or platform screen door when closing and locking, then the train is authorized to leave the stations.
    If someone is trapped in the door then there is an automatic obstacle detection and the doors fully open again so that the person has time to get away from the doors before it try close again.
    And of course how a train driver can see someone who is trapped in the train doors...... the train and platforms are 200m long...

And by the way.....the train doors operating system is design to excerce a maximum effort when closing as well as provided with edge rubbers gaskets so that someone trapped between the leaves don't get injured.
    Used to be the case from the 2000s on the urban lines to about 3-4 years ago. Ever since they introduced door closing announcements on the platforms it has been done manually again. You can tell by the non-standard interval between the announcement and the beeps. If you sometimes wander off to the front of the platform you might be lucky enough to see the driver peering through the end section of the platform screen door straight down the platform. I suppose they rely on CCTV monitors most of the time though.
    Mcdavid likes this.

As said in my original post, the Light Rail Driver intentionally closed the doors as I was about to enter the train; he suddenly closed the door on me. The MTR Manager confirmed this repeatedly that it was the Drivers fault for doing so. My leg was already in motion to enter the train and so had no where to go (when the door closed) and it fell straight through the gap.

Moreover, according to my 2 conversations with the MTR Manager, he said the CCTV footage showed that I was on the ground for 11 seconds before getting up.

The Light Rail Driver was indifferent.

During these 11 seconds, the Manager confirmed exactly what I said, that the Light Rail Driver never got out of his cabin to see if I was alright.

After I got up, he just kept beeping and the doors kept opening and closing - to either get on or off. He never left his cabin.

The Manager said that the Driver will most certainly and likely be punished.

Luckily I didn't sustain any broken bones or sprains, and was grateful, though still had to still report the incident to the MTR Station Manager.

Oh light rail, now that is totally different from MTR lol

bdw and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_cherry:
    As said in my original post, the Light Rail Driver intentionally closed the doors as I was about to enter the train; he suddenly closed the door on me. The MTR Manager confirmed this repeatedly that it was the Drivers fault for doing so. My leg was already in motion to enter the train and so had no where to go (when the door closed) and it fell straight through the gap.

Moreover, according to my 2 conversations with the MTR Manager, he said the CCTV footage showed that I was on the ground for 11 seconds before getting up.

The Light Rail Driver was indifferent.

During these 11 seconds, the Manager confirmed exactly what I said, that the Light Rail Driver never got out of his cabin to see if I was alright.

After I got up, he just kept beeping and the doors kept opening and closing - to either get on or off. He never left his cabin.

The Manager said that the Driver will most certainly and likely be punished.

Luckily I didn't sustain any broken bones or sprains, and was grateful, though still had to still report the incident to the MTR Station Manager.
    Guess you aren’t really much of a rocket, eh?

Please abstain from anything that involves moving parts and stay safe.
    hike likes this.