• 2 Post By blueagles
  • 3 Post By Peaky
  • 2 Post By hannah01
  • 1 Post By Cornmeal
  • 1 Post By Cornmeal

Question about LaLa Move charges/fees.

Closed Thread

Question about LaLa Move charges/fees.

So, I'm moving back to Sai Ying Pun from Tai Po . i'm still in the process of booking a van. So far, a bargain chat with two drivers - both will charge me over 300 HKD. Since, I'll need assistance with moving my goodies, the charge will be 150 dollars ( for both the tasks of moving up and down); the transportation fee: 180 dollars + tunnel fees ( I chose Shing Mun Tunnel) but I'm not aware if that's us customers or the driver who decides which tunnel we get through. So, the tunnel fees will be 30 dollars (two tunnels). Total - 350 HKD.

Is that reasonable?

$350 for only labour and tunnels? Sounds dirt cheap.

We paid over 2000 for Sai Kung to Tai Mei Tuk and that was way cheaper than all the other guys we spoke with at the time ($5k+).

Why take Shing Mun tunnel? Takes you much further away from your destination. Just do Lion Rock and a then it's a straight shot to SYP via x-harbour.

JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    $350 for only labour and tunnels? Sounds dirt cheap.

We paid over 2000 for Sai Kung to Tai Mei Tuk and that was way cheaper than all the other guys we spoke with at the time ($5k+).

Why take Shing Mun tunnel? Takes you much further away from your destination. Just do Lion Rock and a then it's a straight shot to SYP via x-harbour.

Shing Mun Tunnel because that was the one with the lowest fee. Wasn't aware of the thing you've mentioned. But the driver did point out that going through the tunnel will only make the journey longer and suggested Western Harbor.

They'll surely charge you more for moving stuff unless its very little quantity. Are you really expecting to move apartments for HKD350?!

Recently I paid HKD500 extra for loading and unloading of a few furniture items and other misc items, plus HKD300 for the van (large one with tail lift).

Gave the guy 1000 since he did a nice job with some awkward gymnastics getting items in and out and bubble wrapped some stuff. I'm probably too generous but still benchmark what some surly git would charge in London.

hannah01, rs4 and JAherbert like this.

That is indeed very cheap! Make sure that you are communicating clearly with them and understanding each other.

hannah01 and JAherbert like this.

$150 for physically moving boxes? This must be the smallest apartment move ever.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Shing Mun Tunnel because that was the one with the lowest fee. Wasn't aware of the thing you've mentioned. But the driver did point out that going through the tunnel will only make the journey longer and suggested Western Harbor.
    If the difference of $3 in tunnels fees is a concern, why move from cheaper rent in TP to a much pricier SYP?

Surely the $3 will be lost in the extra distance charges anyway ?
    chuckster007 likes this.

@jgl mate, it's just two boxes. I'm the only one single person moving in to a new bachelor pad/studio (and not one with an entourage of family).

I guess 350 is a good bargain, then.

Anyway, thanks all !!!!

Last edited by hannah01; 09-06-2021 at 08:22 PM.
    aw451 and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    So, I'm moving back to Sai Ying Pun from Tai Po .
    Do tell, was it not everything you had expected from it?

for Gogo van drivers, If there is a route choice, they ask which route / which tunnel to use, no different from directing a taxi