convert landline phone number to web based online phone number?

Closed Thread

convert landline phone number to web based online phone number?

We have landline hardwired phone with Kowloon phone number for years.
    Is there anywhere to convert this landline phone number to web based online phone number, such as VoIP phone number or SIM based mobile phone number?
    Yes, we do not need this hardwired landline phone anymore.
    Thank you for your help,.

Quote Originally Posted by young707:
    Is there anywhere to convert this landline phone number to web based online phone number, such as VoIP phone number or SIM based mobile phone number?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    No.
    I believe that's not true, but out of curiosity am asking for more details from a friend who develops enterprise level VoIP systems, to see if things have changed.

Anyone can install an IDA-P line in their office or data centre, which is effectively a thick trunk that (typically) offers 24 simultaneous channels and you'll get a large pool of numbers (say 300). It's how large companies have lots of phone numbers all with the same first 6 digits: the last few numbers, the extensions within their given block, they are free to allocate as they please to their users, or do all sorts of fancy things with them.

Since way back when the OFCA forced operators to allow number porting (time flies - must have been 20+ years ago), apparently it also means that IDA-P users can insist on a number being transferred to them. Unless things have changed again.

Of course nobody will install such a line for themselves just for one number... but point is that technically number porting should be possible. Said friend does not deal with individual numbers or clients like this, but if there are B2C VoIP providers out there that have the equipment and would do this... absolutely it's both possible and very practically feasible.

I know it's possible in Canada as I have done it myself, but I don't know if there's anything in HK that prevents it, like regulatory wise, as I'm sure it's possible from a technical perspective. I think it's best to just chat with your provider and see.

In California, we had landline hardwired AT&T (originally it was Pacific Bell) home telephone number for decades,
    Then, we signed up Google Voice with free Google Voice local VoIP phone number. We can make outgoing and receive incoming calls both on Web based online and on mobile phone app.
    Then, years later, we paid $20, to have this home landline hardwired AT&T telephone number, ported to our Google Voice account.
    Now, we use both web based online and mobile phone app as our home phone.

Do we have such same in Hong Kong?

Per #3 - the OFCA have regulated and required number portability within Hong Kong for decades already.

I don't know any small providers off hand that would do this (HKBN / SmarTone likely do, but not sure they offer a generic SIP interface - though you can probably have it forwarded to a mobile).

If you Google, there are lots of VoIP providers that would claim to allow an HK number port. However most don't appear to be based here, and from what I see call rates would make it pointless.