Any Vegetarian Members ?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    mainly for religious reasons-anything grown underground is taboo, peanuts, peanut oil, potatoes, ginger, ginger beer, yams, lotus root, beet root,horse radish,wasabi,turnip, kohlrabi carrots, celeraic, Jerusalem Artichoe,parsnip, Rutabaga, sweet potatoes...hmm might have been simpler to list what these guys CAN eat.
    ? what religion?

Pls
    add your email to this activity contact email list

http://groups.google.com/group/Hong-Kong-Hiking/about

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

? what religion?

hdisjfifjndf_ sorry for the delay, but this thread seemed to have passed me by.

The people who do not eat below the ground stuff are the Jains.

Some are known to wear face masks to prevent swallowing insects

more....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism

How could you guys resist the urge to eat meat? Have you all gone mad??? hahah!

Just kidding. Don't kill me please.

I wish I could be a vegetarian. But people around me would always be calling me a KILL JOY. No one would invite me to parties anymore... except for my grandmother's parties cuz lots of vegetarians there.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

I wish I could be a vegetarian.

Don't beat yourself up over it Yohan
    I'm not a veggie but can go for weeks without any meat.I dont HAVE to have meat I eat what I like.

I have a friend who recently became a vegetarian [exactly why I am not sure] but he has become insufferable, as places which he finds palatable are few, though I did get him to munch a garden salad once while I polished off a grilled chicken burger at Mc D,
    Now this is from a fellow who previosly refused to go to Branto on the excuse that he could eat nothing there.

So forget the labels and eat what you like and who knows your wish may come true

Khana Khazana

It's been mentioned before, but worth repeating

KHANA KHAZANA
    Pure Veg Indian

1F, Dannie's House, 20 Luard Road, Wan Chai
    25255308 [email protected]

It's easy to find, right across the street from Joe Banana's.

The food is pure veg, so worth supporting by vegetarians.

More importantly, it's great food and very friendly staff.

The lunch buffet is best value, though also have some mid-afternoon deals.

Masala dosa is a highlight.

Enjoy.

The veggie dish you find in the usual restaurant comes with chicken stock and real oyster sauce, but the oyster sauce used in a vegetarian restaurant is veg oyster sauce. You can find it sold in the wet market and veg. restaurant. I always have a bottle in my fridge because I'm allergic to real oyster sauce, but not to oysters, funny.

As for onions and garlic, Chinese buddhist veg restaurants don't use them along with other spices because they make you long for the material world and excite your worldly feelings.

>> As for onions and garlic, Chinese buddhist veg restaurants don't use them along with other spices
    >> because they make you long for the material world and excite your worldly feelings.

Hmmm .. I thought in the case of Indiian buddhists it was because they're grown underground. They avoid everything grown underground from what I gather.

I think basically vegans follow a diet which does not include milk or milk products in addition to not eating meat..

I was surprised to find a couple of places here which said they have vegetarian food and offered chicken!!

i have a question....do the thai restaraunts which serve red and green vegetarian curry have shrimp paste added to it already??? and also...does the mushroom rice which you get in KFC have beek powder or something like that in it?? they seem good...so wanna make sure before i eat them!!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    >> As for onions and garlic, Chinese buddhist veg restaurants don't use them along with other spices
    >> because they make you long for the material world and excite your worldly feelings.

Hmmm .. I thought in the case of Indiian buddhists it was because they're grown underground. They avoid everything grown underground from what I gather.
    could be... i am also told that onion and garlic etc are beleived to induce a state of spiritual lethargy and sloth, which is (sadly ) not the optimum state, so many buddhist and devoted hindus avoid such food. the same people will also avoid meat, as they beleive eating it will induce violence and agression in their manner.

that's wot a little birdy told me, anyway (before i ate him... )
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 15-01-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast