Like Tree14Likes

Suddenly horribly polluted

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,534

    Unhappy Suddenly horribly polluted

    AQHI between 9 and 10+ everywhere. Yuck.

    It did feel a bit too good to be true that the net effect of typhoons either side of us would be beautiful weather and clear views.

    Morrison and misshappy26 like this.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,267

    Wind blowing from China so you get their shit factory pollution!


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Faroe Islands
    Posts
    2,310

    Chinar, the gift that keeps on givinggg

    misshappy26 likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    AQHI between 9 and 10+ everywhere. Yuck.

    It did feel a bit too good to be true that the net effect of typhoons either side of us would be beautiful weather and clear views.
    I have not been paying attention this time, but incoming low pressure systems will alternate between pulling air up from the south (empty ocean) and pushing air down or across from Guangdong.

    If you look at wind direction and air quality here, you can see what's happening:

    https://www.windy.com/-PM2-5-pm2p5?c....436,114.208,9

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    AQHI between 9 and 10+ everywhere. Yuck.

    It did feel a bit too good to be true that the net effect of typhoons either side of us would be beautiful weather and clear views.
    Typhoon In-fa is drawing in polluted air from the mainland. Whenever we get a typhoon in the region but not hitting HK, this pollution happens. Sucks doesn't it?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Wind blowing from China so you get their shit factory pollution!
    We certainly get pollution from China (likely currently), but most of the time, about half of Hong Kong's air pollution is generated locally. Marine, road transport, the Castle Peak coal-fired power station, and the airport being the primary contributors.

    At this time of the year, there are generally decent winds coming primarily from the east and the south which bring in fresh air and push out the locally generated crap. When the winds become light, then local pollution builds up.

    The local sources can be seen pretty easily when winds are light:


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    7,859

    There is NO POLLUTION IN HK, it is just fog only, blame mother earth. Nothing to blame our glorious China

    Plutark likes this.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,267
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinhk:
    We certainly get pollution from China (likely currently), but most of the time, about half of Hong Kong's air pollution is generated locally. Marine, road transport, the Castle Peak coal-fired power station, and the airport being the primary contributors.

    At this time of the year, there are generally decent winds coming primarily from the east and the south which bring in fresh air and push out the locally generated crap. When the winds become light, then local pollution builds up.

    The local sources can be seen pretty easily when winds are light:

    That is not true at all, when you get strong wind from the north that's when the pollution is the worst. Instead of repeating what the CCP taught you what about you go on https://aqicn.org/city/hongkong/
    Try to get access to their historical data, you get wind speed, where it's coming from and pollution levels. I have looked at it myself and it is pretty blatant !

    Edit: And you are showing 21 of January data, wtf?
    Sage likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    53
    Edit: And you are showing 21 of January data, wtf?
    The image I showed was simply an example of locally generated pollution accumulating during a still conditions in Hk. No need to get excited.

    Of course HK air pollution (particulate matter in particular) comes from Guangdong. But local sources also contribute, and are the major source about half of the time.

    Especially in winter when the wind is blown easterly from China, pollutants are brought to Hong Kong. While Hong Kong is affected by air pollution from China, 53% of the time, the dominant sources of Hong Kong’s air pollution are local.
    https://www.hongkongcan.org/hk/resources/pulic-policy/

    There's little that the HK government can do about regional sources, but there is plenty they can do about local sources - power plant fuel mix, marine diesel sulfur caps in line with developed countries etc.

    The "it all comes from the mainland" line is what let's them get away with doing very little.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,267
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinhk:
    The image I showed was simply an example of locally generated pollution accumulating during a still conditions in Hk. No need to get excited.

    Of course HK air pollution (particulate matter in particular) comes from Guangdong. But local sources also contribute, and are the major source about half of the time.



    https://www.hongkongcan.org/hk/resources/pulic-policy/

    There's little that the HK government can do about regional sources, but there is plenty they can do about local sources - power plant fuel mix, marine diesel sulfur caps in line with developed countries etc.

    The "it all comes from the mainland" line is what let's them get away with doing very little.
    it is not half half then. It's more like 75% from mainland. The ship are highly polluting i agree, and the amount of cars in central kowloon does not help either. But then most of the ships are coming from China to use HK as their logistics platform so you could argue it is a lot more China. I mean the amount of factories in GZ is insane. In Tung Chung for example when the wind comes from the west we get the crap from Zhuhai.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast