Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Cegaiga
  • 2 Post By Skyhook
  • 2 Post By ArrynField

Landlord wants to take out of our deposit for not being able to access apartment because we left keys inside when we moved out. Is this in their rights?

Closed Thread

Landlord wants to take out of our deposit for not being able to access apartment because we left keys inside when we moved out. Is this in their rights?

Hey so when we moved out of our apartment we thought it was normal protocol to leave our keys in the apartment on the last day. However, we found out our landlord nor the agent has a spare key and they will now have to break the lock of the apartment and will be taking the cost of doing so out of our deposit.
    Do you think this is something in their right to do or are we still in our rights for doing due diligence of “securing the apartment”?

From my experience, the agent and landlord will give you all copies of the keys. Why would they have a spare?

I always hand keys back in person and get the deposit at the same time.

If they can't enter the premises, then the apartment is technically not 'secured'.

JAherbert likes this.

Sorry but you either make access available for them or you owe them locksmith fees.
    Best to arrange your own locksmith.

you locked them out of the house so off course you have to pay for a locksmith to open the door LOL

It's quite clear there's no clear communication.

What is clear is that you have different protocol?

Key handover does not equal leave the keys in the property.

The LL is quite right to charge.

Put yourself in the LL's position and a tenant did the same to you.

Joie Lai and markranson like this.

I have lived in so many properties I do not even know the count, you always hand over the keys to the landlord or agent. How do they check you have not destroyed the flat inside?

Quote Originally Posted by kvme:
    Hey so when we moved out of our apartment we thought it was normal protocol to leave our keys in the apartment on the last day. However, we found out our landlord nor the agent has a spare key and they will now have to break the lock of the apartment and will be taking the cost of doing so out of our deposit.
    Do you think this is something in their right to do or are we still in our rights for doing due diligence of “securing the apartment”?
    Just hire a local locksmith to open the door of the apartment, retrieve the keys and give them to either the agent who was looking after the apartment or direct to the landlord. It should cost between $300 - $500 to do so, and just learn from your small mistake. It's no big deal.
    Mrs. Jones and scotland like this.

I always handover the keys at the move out walk thru. Checking any damages together with the landlord...

I think in this case, you had poor communications and will be paying.