Like Tree115Likes

Local people behavior in bus and MTR

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Never been a problem on a jeepney for me . Mind you they squeeze them on until it is full then throw in a few more. And it only high thirties.

Just keep your belongings tight - which would you prefer a racist empty seat next to you or your stuff stolen?

Name:  images (1).jpeg
Views: 586
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 583
Size:  37.7 KB

Is this the biggest gripe you have about public transportation in HK? Man, it's a real compliment to HK if "not feeling good about people not sitting next to you" is the only thing you can think of.

jayinhongkong and Sebastien-F like this.

Recently, on a packed MTR after a long hike, there was only one seat available on the MTR -- next to a brown man. Boy was I grateful for that seat! The man was so kind that when people got off and space freed up, he moved over to another seat so my partner and I could sit together. This is something logical and kind that no one ever does for others -- except a kind brown man!

Witnessed a similar situation in Germany once with a child refusing the last seat next to a brown person and it was just so glaringly obvious why he wouldn't take that seat. Always regret not speaking up and telling that kid off with my foreign accent in front of his mother.

Sometimes you feel so embarrassed to be human.

Jaz Paul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Recently, on a packed MTR after a long hike, there was only one seat available on the MTR -- next to a brown man. Boy was I grateful for that seat! The man was so kind that when people got off and space freed up, he moved over to another seat so my partner and I could sit together. This is something logical and kind that no one ever does for others -- except a kind brown man!

Witnessed a similar situation in Germany once with a child refusing the last seat next to a brown person and it was just so glaringly obvious why he wouldn't take that seat. Always regret not speaking up and telling that kid off with my foreign accent in front of his mother.

Sometimes you feel so embarrassed to be human.
    Am I wrong for brushing this off as a minor incident? Look on YouTube or the news, check out all the racist tirades on the London Tube or bus, the stabbings and fights and muggings in the NYC subways, the gang fights, the hooligans, etc etc... we're going to be embarrassed to be human because we are assuming why some people don't sit down?
    Corrib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    we're going to be embarrassed to be human because we are assuming why some people don't sit down?
    I guess I don't read the news of other places to know what happens. But yes, I feel embarrassed when I encounter these situations. And yes, I'm going to make that assumption.

Isn't my point even more valid if taking what you mentioned into consideration?
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 03-11-2021 at 05:06 PM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Am I wrong for brushing this off as a minor incident? Look on YouTube or the news, check out all the racist tirades on the London Tube or bus, the stabbings and fights and muggings in the NYC subways, the gang fights, the hooligans, etc etc... we're going to be embarrassed to be human because we are assuming why some people don't sit down?
    I don't think there is any assumption there. Yes reasons can be given such as size but strangely it happens to white, brown, black, big, small. The common factor is they are not Chinese looking.

To show that it isn't only a HK thing, Facebook post from a Filipino friend in Canada today, on the plane going to work a black American woman asked to be moved. Asians are infectious you know
    qhank likes this.

Yes you are wrong. For bringing whataboutery into the discussion in an attempt to minimise or deflect racism in HK.

If you are so interested in bad behaviour on the subway in NY or London, start a thread.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

I would argue HK's are a sheltered bunch and wont sit next to anyone who is 'different'.

I'll take 0.025% of the population as a basis for being different as that would be 1 person in a packer MTR.

There are probably many groups that are willfully avoided in HK in terms of sitting next to them. In no particular order

People who are
    - really really Obese
    - enduring Tourettes syndrome
    - South Asian and dress as a hole digger
    - Sweaty / Smelly
    - loud on the phone
    - with a mental disability
    - muttering to themselves
    - brown
    - an amputee
    - suffering bad skin
    - eating
    etc

A few years ago a hajib would elicit a similar response of generating an empty seat but they are pretty common sight now in HK especially on a Sunday so I don't think (I could be very wrong) empty seats are created anymore.

Any in the list above that are innate or linked to strong cultural expected norm that is civil should in my opinion carry the same disappointment when you see it occur. Being German is no excuse for talking loudly on a mobile in the MTR. I guess some of us are conditioned to see discrimination based on skin color as higher up the list of things to be disgusted at. That is a fair comment in societies where large swathes of the population suffer but we should hopefully recognize many many minority groups based on a whole host of classifications (not just ethnicity) also suffer the same issues.

This woman deserves no sympathy for having an empty seat next to her
    -

These racist wankers are immigrating on BNOs. to the UK. where that type of behaviour gets you stabbed.

jayinhongkong and qhank like this.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    These racist wankers are immigrating on BNOs. to the UK. where that type of behaviour gets you stabbed.

~100,000 people have left HK to the UK. That's about 1.5%.

If an MTR carriage has spare seats I would estimate around 25% loading. So that's approx 80 people per carriage. In the immediate area of the empty seat its probably 25 or so. The chances are there isn't one of the - insert your derogatory generalization - standing near by. I would also hazard a guess that those that have left were more likely to be the ones that would sit as the carriage fills up given the very middle class nature of their profiles.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast