Like Tree15Likes

Ancestry.com / 23andMe type DNA Tests

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don’t know who my US relatives are that’s why I want AncestryDNA. I might consider 23and me since they claim to sell in Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by The expat20:
    I don’t know who my US relatives are that’s why I want AncestryDNA. I might consider 23and me since they claim to sell in Hong Kong
    Announce on Facebook that you have won the lottery. Your relatives will find you.

When you sign up for Ancestry or any of the services, you have to agree to let them use your data to match up with others. If you don't or they don't, there won't be matches. That said, seems a fair number of my random 2nd and 3rd degree relatives have done the test and I get matches all the time. Some in Ireland or the UK (family mostly from Ireland), and the surprise child of my uncle, of course. Seems she has been in the US a long time, there were programs to repatriate children fathered during the Viet Nam War, I assume she came over as a result of one of those...

I would guess it would be possible to ship the kit to a trans-shipper (My US or any of the other services) and possibly send the sample to someone in the US to post it from a US address (I think mine was required to be shipped from a US address, I did it when I was in the US).

23 and me has more health-related genetic testing, wish I had done that instead but the kit was a Christmas present. My adopted Russian niece did the test, found out that she is, in fact, Russian, but found no relatives. My results were spot on for even the county we come from in Ireland (must be quite the inbred lot to determine that level of refinement)...

Good luck in your search...

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 07-12-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    hullexile likes this.

23 and me lists HK as an available country- go for it.

https://int.customercare.23andme.com...o-You-Ship-To-

Heard Ancestry.com was the best product and had the most participants which is why I’d rather use them

Probably more people have used Ancestry.com but most of its databases are Eurocentric so if you have European roots, you get good results, Asian, not as much I believe. That said, better to get your DNA tested any way you can and then maybe send off your results to Ancestry.com (I know there was some other DNA testing I looked into and they said I could send them my Ancestry results and use those- some nutrition information data). Worth looking into...