Like Tree14Likes

December elections

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

December elections

Recognising it is an offence to encouage anyone to spoil their ballot or not vote, I still want to undertand more about my options for the December election.

I got a leaflet about it - there were 3 candidates listed; two of which had some words of manifesto in the leaflet; one of these even translated the words into English. Google translate of the other was gibberish. The third just had a question mark. How the heck do I find out if any of these people is worth voting for? Are there ANY candidates who are not pro-Beijing? Any thoughts. I want to vote for someone who cares about Hong Kong and it's future; is keen on opening up the international borders and is not a Bejing puppet....

(bearing in mind first sentence in how you reply).

Lucky you,having the chance to go out and vote! I am still in lockdown in my care home after more than 2 years. I received piles of pamphlets. It's a pity no one knew that elderly care home residents are only allowed out for medical appointments. What a waste of paper and labour!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I got a leaflet about it - there were 3 candidates listed; two of which had some words of manifesto in the leaflet; one of these even translated the words into English. Google translate of the other was gibberish. The third just had a question mark. How the heck do I find out if any of these people is worth voting for? Are there ANY candidates who are not pro-Beijing?
    Come on now, anyone not pro-Beijing is not allowed to take part, and does who normally would normally have taken are mostly locked up, stripped of their rights of participating, or in exile anyway.

Any thoughts. I want to vote for someone who cares about Hong Kong and it's future; is keen on opening up the international borders and is not a Bejing puppet....
    By this point it's better to call this a selection of Beijing appointees rather than an election. Anyone wanting the above would be labeled "un-patriotic", even milder pro-Beijing stooges had trouble getting on ballot this time.
    Mefisto and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Come on now, anyone not pro-Beijing is not allowed to take part, and does who normally would normally have taken are mostly locked up, stripped of their rights of participating, or in exile anyway.

By this point it's better to call this a selection of Beijing appointees rather than an election. Anyone wanting the above would be labeled "un-patriotic", even milder pro-Beijing stooges had trouble getting on ballot this time.
    This is pretty much where I start in thinking about this. However I just wanted to check if it was actually correct or not or if I just read too much HKFreePress!

Send them an email with a pertinent question. See if they give you any answer.

https://www.elections.gov.hk/legco20...roduction.html

HK_Katherine and spode like this.

For my functional constituency all I can see is "Relevant information has not been provided by the candidate" in all the fields, including their manifesto.

I'd love to vote but the information isn't available to make a decision at the moment. Hopefully that will change

Last edited by aw451; 07-12-2021 at 06:05 PM.
    East_coast and HK_Katherine like this.

Are we having elections? How is that possible considering it's one country one system

I got a leaflet about it - there were 3 candidates listed; two of which had some words of manifesto in the leaflet; one of these even translated the words into English. Google translate of the other was gibberish. The third just had a question mark. How the heck do I find out if any of these people is worth voting for? Are there ANY candidates who are not pro-Beijing? Any thoughts. I want to vote for someone who cares about Hong Kong and it's future; is keen on opening up the international borders and is not a Bejing puppet....
    RTHK is doing a 'meet the candidates'. Platitudes rather than policy.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    For my functional constituency all I can see is "Relevant information has not been provided by the candidate" in all the fields, including their manifesto.

I'd love to vote but the information isn't available to make a decision at the moment. Hopefully that will change
    This is the issue. What is the difference in terms of policy between the candidates. These are SAR level elections so SAR level policies should be the back bone of their manifestos

Hopefully this will improve

Original Post Deleted
    What do you mean?
    I repeat, we are not permitted,by order of the Health Dept ,to leave our care home . This rule has been applied for more than two years. My post was to inform people that I am not given the chance to vote,even if I wanted to. I am very aware of the date on my calendar. Thanks.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast