Like Tree139Likes

Struggling to meet international friends in Hong Kong

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggawatt:
    In every country where I have lived I have made significant, lasting friendships through attending church. It might not be something you have tried before, but you might be surprised at what you find. If you live anywhere near Sai Kung or Clearwater Bay, come to my church and I’ll introduce you to a very international community of people that will welcome you - resurrection.org.hk

I live in the cityside in HK island, but I am willing and able to travel no matter how far it is. yes it sounds interesting for me to join the church

Both locals and expats are hard to make friends with MOST locals. HK locals are generally less friendly to strangers than westerners, mainland chinese and people of taiwan. Many locals actually want friends but aren't desperate.

But the ABC or Overseas Born Chinese and the intenational school kids are generally friendly.

Friends or Dating. You may have a higher chance elsewhere in Asia. In some places in Asia, unlike HK, many guys and girls are active looking for future spouses. many marry very soon after first meeting. Most of these people can be met randomly on the streets and online.

Quote Originally Posted by timothwc:
    members of this group:

please note you are embarking on a mission harder than the moon landing, trying to make friends in the worst possible city imaginable

if in the case you pull it off, you will have a book publishing deal,
    Last edited by lighthse003; 10-05-2022 at 09:43 AM.
    charliebanger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    Both locals and expats are hard to make friends with MOST locals. HK locals are generally less friendly to strangers than westerners, mainland chinese and people of taiwan. Many locals actually want friends but aren't desperate.

But the ABC or Overseas Born Chinese and the intenational school kids are generally friendly.

Friends or Dating. You may have a higher chance elsewhere in Asia. In some places in Asia, unlike HK, many guys and girls are active looking for future spouses. many marry very soon after first meeting. Most of these people can be met randomly on the streets and online.

I am local but I found it hard to meet people randomly, strangers like as you said on the street. it just feels like even expats or no matter who on the streets just take me as a stranger and they are afraid of meeting random people because whether they are beggers or whatever purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by charliebanger:
    I am local but I found it hard to meet people randomly, strangers like as you said on the street. it just feels like even expats or no matter who on the streets just take me as a stranger and they are afraid of meeting random people because whether they are beggers or whatever purpose.
    Does the same approach work when you try to talk to strangers when you are visiting other countries say the US, UK or Australia?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Does the same approach work when you try to talk to strangers when you are visiting other countries say the US, UK or Australia?
    in places like UK is different. It is very easy to meet people there, they are open minded and up for meet strangers anytime. they just come and talk to me. or even just a smile can at least shows an interest. also there are lots of social events everywhere, even pop up ones around the streets that I can join, and meet new people without limit. was so happy there.

in Hong Kong here, these kind of stuff are not common. people are stressed and value lots on working hard. there are places like LKF, or some art, galleries....studio, or sports events can meet people, but I just kinda feel like it is hard because many of them I met usually few times, and then hard to keep the friendship up in the long term. everyone is rushing for money, busy on studying, work. meeting on the streets here in HK is just like worrying meeting someone who maybe scammers, promoting something, ads, or lie money to you. I think people are way worrying too much and it should be about life, happiness more.

even at the university here in HK has big difference too, you see they don't even have a bar, nightclub, event venues or hosting lots of social events for people to join.

Well, I understand, this is cultural difference.

Best best advice is to lean into your hobbies. Love trail running? Check out The Green Race run Facebook group (and loads of other evening waterfront running groups are free to join). Into rock climbing? Join the HK facebook group to join a climb. The Meetup website is excellent for free (and paid) interest groups. I know it's harder during 'rona, but keep your chin up and lean into what you love. You'll hopefully find your tribe before too long!

Girls from HK often complain they are approached by many strangers and new school mates when they start studying in western countries. They are not used to such in HK. Few people introduce themselves when they see a new neighbour, school mates or co workers in HK.

In HK, the culture is cautious, many people don't trust their long known friends. Forget HK and Macau. Easier to meet people in the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Mainland China ,Taiwan and others than HK if you can speak the languages. People in these places are interested in non local people including Chinese from HK. But travel is hard nowadays. Agree hobbies can lead to friends with strangers. I got friends from other schools by this way when I was a student in HK.

Last edited by lighthse003; 11-05-2022 at 02:01 PM.
    charliebanger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    Girls from HK often complain they are approached by many strangers and new school mates when they start studying in western countries. They are not used to such in HK. Few people introduce themselves when they see a new neighbour, school mates or co workers in HK.

In HK, the culture is cautious, many people don't trust their long known friends. Forget HK and Macau. Easier to meet people in the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Mainland China ,Taiwan and others than HK if you can speak the languages. People in these places are interested in non local people including Chinese from HK. But travel is hard nowadays. Agree hobbies can lead to friends with strangers. I got friends from other schools by this way when I was a student in HK.
    yeah it can be. for my person choice/preference, if you dont mind, as i have been to western countries like UK, mindset had probably changed. currently i am trying to learn language like Spanish, Polish….hope i can get into the culture with less gap so that it makes easier to meet friends from many of these places. i already know how to speak Chinese and English anyway. it is disappointing to know that the culture of people in HK dont trust others easily which is different to many other place.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11