Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hullexile

Matrimonial Lawyer Recommendation

Closed Thread

Matrimonial Lawyer Recommendation

Hi,

Trying to help a friend find one to help change the surname of a child who lives with the mother in Philippines. I assume it would be cheaper to use someone from there, but can it be done that way or does it need to be done in HK as the dad is here?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Hi,

Trying to help a friend find one to help change the surname of a child who lives with the mother in Philippines. I assume it would be cheaper to use someone from there, but can it be done that way or does it need to be done in HK as the dad is here?

Thanks
    Will the child continue to live in the Philippines? Was the child born in the Philippines?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Will the child continue to live in the Philippines? Was the child born in the Philippines?
    Born in Phil. Plan is to move to Dubai.

Born in Phil. Plan is to move to Dubai.
    So the surname on the birth certificate needs to be changed with the PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority). Can't see how a lawyer in Hong Kong will help with that.

My only experience like that was,adopting my Filipina step daughter and the name was changed as part of that.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    So the surname on the birth certificate needs to be changed with the PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority). Can't see how a lawyer in Hong Kong will help with that.

My only experience like that was,adopting my Filipina step daughter and the name was changed as part of that.
    Thanks for the advice.

From what I understand is the mom wants the dad to get a lawyer to draft a consent letter to change the child's surname from his to hers. Whether that's actually necessary I don't know.

Thanks for the advice.

From what I understand is the mom wants the dad to get a lawyer to draft a consent letter to change the child's surname from his to hers. Whether that's actually necessary I don't know.
    Yes I am sure it will be necessary. I knew someone who had the wrong mother on their birth certificate and it was changed with a letter or two.

They must get this done because an authorized birth certificate is used all the time here, my kids even need theirs' to get vaccinated.