Like Tree10Likes

Cheap and Liar landlord

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Unhappy Cheap and Liar landlord

    Hi All,

    I have recently renewed my contract with increased rent of 7% , during renew contract there is oral agreement that increased rent will be start/applicable after 1 more month but because my previous contract end date was coming so signed the contract with increased rent without mentioning this '1 month discount' thing in contract.

    Now, after I pay by 'autopay' which is full rent and I asked him to refund the extra rent as agreed before, he start talking about contract and refused to give extra rent back.

    In short, he just made fake promise before sign the contract and refused to kept his words afterwards.

    On the other hand, he is not agree to fix water leakage and door and saying it is tenant responsibility and always saying that he has given me flat in cheaper rent (which is actually 300 HKD cheaper than market price but I am living here last 2 years so this 300 HKD difference is normal).
    I read the contract and it says - "Landlord shall keep and maintain the structural parts of the Premises including the main drains, pipes and cables in proper state of repair".

    I think it is landlord responsibility to fix water leakage and doors, please let me know if I am wrong.

    You can see here, he is referring to contract when it is benefits him and deny when it doesn't. Though I doesn't care about fraud of '1 month discount' because it was not big amount but with that cheap and liar person I don't feel my security deposit is safe, I am thinking during leaving (which may be after 1 year) flat he will try to deduct as more as possible by giving cheap excuses.

    I don't know how to handle this situation, Should I wait for 1 year and don't pay last 2 month rent to adjust security ?
    Should I stop next month rent and force him to fix water leakage and door which may be cost him 2k-3k ? but I afraid it will provoke him more to not give back security deposit.

    Last edited by LetsDiscuss; 19-01-2022 at 09:56 AM. Reason: adding more info

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    987

    I would just tell him you are arranging the repair and will deduct the cost from the next rent payment, quoting the contract terms. Ideally get a quote for the work first and be clear on the deduction. Give him a few days to respond and then get the work done and share the receipt before you pay him lower rent.

    And if you are worried about your deposit and don't need an onward reference don't pay for the last two months. But make sure you have clear evidence of the condition of the flat when you moved in, and pictures of the same before you leave.

    Am I right to assume this is a subdivided unit? If so it is the wild west and you need to just play it smart.

    bdw likes this.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    And if you are worried about your deposit and don't need an onward reference don't pay for the last two months. But make sure you have clear evidence of the condition of the flat when you moved in, and pictures of the same before you leave.

    Am I right to assume this is a subdivided unit? If so it is the wild west and you need to just play it smart.
    The flat paint always coming out whenever it rains, I have already shared pics and videos with him last year but I don't expect him to be fair (after cheating with me) so I afraid.

    I am living with my family here, not subdivided.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,454

    That 7% amount he was suppose to refund you, just deduct that from your next month rent as well. But actually, I am a bit confused by this part, if there was a verbal agreement for you to continue paying the previous lower rent for one more month, then why didn't you pay less? What was the point to pay the new higher amount and then he refunds back to you? What kind of dodginess are you up to?


  5. #5

    I pay by CC autopay which pay only rent written in contract.

    Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    That 7% amount he was suppose to refund you, just deduct that from your next month rent as well. But actually, I am a bit confused by this part, if there was a verbal agreement for you to continue paying the previous lower rent for one more month, then why didn't you pay less? What was the point to pay the new higher amount and then he refunds back to you? What kind of dodginess are you up to?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,149
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsDiscuss:
    I pay by CC autopay which pay only rent written in contract.
    How does that work?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    641

    So in summary, you agreed to pay 7% increase and went out of your way to change your previous autopay instruction and increase monthly payment by 7% before actual start date and that too without getting it written on contract, doesnt add up..

    Also didnt you discuss about water leakage and door etc problems while renewing the contract? Normally, these are key issues on negotiation table...

    Paxbritannia likes this.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    So in summary, you agreed to pay 7% increase and went out of your way to change your previous autopay instruction and increase monthly payment by 7% before actual start date and that too without getting it written on contract, doesnt add up..

    Also didnt you discuss about water leakage and door etc problems while renewing the contract? Normally, these are key issues on negotiation table...
    No, my previous contract was ending so autopay as well.

    The 7% increased after actual start date (which is after ending previous contract) but landlord agreed to give me '1 month extra' discount. Ex: My contract ends on December so I signed the contract on January with 7% increase and agreed orally with landlord that 7% will start from Feb and I can enjoy Jan month in old rent.

    I discussed with him these problems and he refused to fix and I agreed because it was not showstopper issue but now I am thinking he is not keeping his words so why I should keep mine.

    I hope I am clear enough now, please let me know if you have any further questions.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    42,923

    Do you have any of these records on Whatsapp or was it a verbal agreement?

    The tribunals - including Lands do take agreement on Whatsapp as verbal contracts and they're easier to prove over "he said/she said" type arguments.

    (I still cannot make sense of the rest of your post... will leave it to you and the rest to parse and give you options..)


  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,644

    your description here is not crystal clear, wondering if the the LL was equally confused.

    it has been said here countless times, oral agreements are completely worthless, any changes should be clear stated, added to your lease and signed by both parties.


Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast