Like Tree16Likes

Chinese new year red packets giving: Does a couple count as one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I lived in a building where there were two security guards so I would give to both...However, I have now moved into one of those wonderful complexes where there are NO guards in each lobby because we use octopus. But that means bloody 20+ guards loitering around.Even to leave the main gate there are two guards. Wouldn't mind so much but I don't see these guards do much. Since there is no guard inside the lobby of my block, there is never anyone to help open the door for you when struggling with packages , shopping etc. They don't even open the main gate, I have to let myself in ! I would more prefer to hand my money over to the cleaners. I don't mind giving to regular guards but to give to an army of guards and relief staff who pop out of nowhere......in fact when the fire alarm goes off, I'm the one who has to notify them because there is nobody in the lobby to hear it.They are all standing outside chatting

However, I will give the lai see .

BTW don't give 2 x $20 = $40 which is kind of bad luck .

Now, for the banking cluster of everyone queuing up to get nice fresh printed notes

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    BTW don't give 2 x $20 = $40 which is kind of bad luck .
    Its ONLY BAD LUCK if you put 2x20 into 1 lai see packet.

20 each is ok la
    ycchai likes this.

repeat, money is money. 1x $50 note take cares of everything

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    repeat, money is money. 1x $50 note take cares of everything
    we have a BALLER in da house

I will be giving 500 to my office parking security lady. She watches my car and saves me my personal spot

Edit: (forgot to quote. fixed post below)

Quote Originally Posted by ycchai:
    I think the 2 laisee practice is more of a Hong Kong thing. Most countries give one as a couple. So my practice is 2 for very local friends and 1 for everyone else including security guards (who is more concern about whats inside than how many) Bear in mind some building workers get 1 month bonus equivalent or more in laisee hence there was an incident where a guard attacked his co worker after he was assign to a less "frequent" entrance.

Also I'll be giving dirty looks to Shri for the rest of the year
    Attachment 85712
    Did you mean one person gives two packets to one person? or your spouse and yourself give one out separately to the same person?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2