Like Tree68Likes

Senior Execs trapped outside HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Anecdotal, but I know of 3 (in different sectors - banking, IT, luxury goods) all approved recently in less than a week, vs. 3 weeks usual processing time.

So yes, seems if you follow the process and regulations (=advertise a role locally, have track of why you can't fill it locally, etc), it's going through
    My recent experience (Dec 2021) for an IT candidate wasn't as quick as 1 week but took 3 weeks to secure an employment pass which previously (June 2015) took 5 weeks for the same candidate at a different bank. Admittedly the shorter processing time in 2021 may be due to additional experience of candidate and/or the employing bank rather than any change in government intentions

Quote Originally Posted by GuruA:
    Absolutely! Hope the little snowflakes keep up the whinging and bugger off...so there's some additional negotiation power to bring to the table for those of us still here
    Assuming there are still jobs for those who stay

Quote Originally Posted by GuruA:
    Absolutely! Hope the little snowflakes keep up the whinging and bugger off...so there's some additional negotiation power to bring to the table for those of us still here
    I think most companies would prefer to relocate rather than hire substandard staff who in an ideal world wouldn't have got a look in.

"I'm all that's left. Hire me".

Not the most convincing negotiating position.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Anecdotal, but I know of 3 (in different sectors - banking, IT, luxury goods) all approved recently in less than a week, vs. 3 weeks usual processing time.

So yes, seems if you follow the process and regulations (=advertise a role locally, have track of why you can't fill it locally, etc), it's going through
    Over SGD20k/month and you can bypass the Singaporean advertising and justification for why it has to be a foreigner. At the senior end they are hoovering up roles at the moment. And work permits are coming within 3 weeks for simple cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Over SGD20k/month and you can bypass the Singaporean advertising and justification for why it has to be a foreigner. At the senior end they are hoovering up roles at the moment. And work permits are coming within 3 weeks for simple cases.
    I thought Singapore were cracking down on work visas for foreigners?
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Good riddance

tired of global execs making fxxx you money by partnering with the CCP while the lot of the locals never see improvement. The CCP were going to throw you under the bus at a later date anyway, so consider this getting your poetic justice just in time for Chinese New Year

Quote Originally Posted by timothwc:
    Good riddance

tired of global execs making fxxx you money by partnering with the CCP while the lot of the locals never see improvement. The CCP were going to throw you under the bus at a later date anyway, so consider this getting your poetic justice just in time for Chinese New Year
    Don't worry .. they'll continue to do the same outside of HK.

Just saying that being paid has nothing to do with being an expat or being in HK - it is all about what your company views your ability to contribute to the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    I thought Singapore were cracking down on work visas for foreigners?
    They are. Especially in IT and finance.