Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jalloner54

Where to sell my jewellery?!?

Closed Thread

Selling your jewellery? How to get the best price?

Hi,

Wanna sell some jewellery

Silver bracelet
    Platinium earrings, bracelet and rings
    A Diamond ring
    Gold necklace

Where can I get the best price for it as a bundle? Or you would advice to look for different places to sell each to get a better price?

If so suggest best dealer that would give you the best price for :

gold& Platinium
    Silver
    Diamond

I don't wanna be ripped off. The diamond rings come with certificate and all, other jewellery made of (silver, platinum & gold) are plain no stones, can be easily melt done.

With most jewelry the most one can hope for is that if you measure it, you can tell whether or not you are being ripped off by the amounts you get. offered Go to a bullion dealer if you get no bids on eBay. Sadly jewelry has little value beyond the melt and valuation of the stones

just take it to a jewelry shop but stay away from the big names like Chow Tai Fook etc as you will probably get less money. I sold all my gold to a local jewelry shop and got good money for it before I left HK

No way on earth would I consider a jewelry shop. If they can’t spell properly what chance do you have of getting a decent price?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    just take it to a jewelry shop but stay away from the big names like Chow Tai Fook etc as you will probably get less money. I sold all my gold to a local jewelry shop and got good money for it before I left HK
    I don't know how the appraisal process works, like what, I walk in in 3 to 4 shops ask them to weight my jewellery and record the weight of each piece, they will be telling how much they are willing to give me for each piece.

But how do I know I'm not getting ripped off, like I go online check the market price per gram for each metal do my calculations and see if my calculations are any cloce to the offer given?

Mind sharing the name of local jewellery that have given you the best price? What you define as a good price (ratio: price given/ to price expected).
    Last edited by Jalloner54; 21-05-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalloner54:
    I don't know how the appraisal process works, like what, I walk in in 3 to 4 shops ask them to weight my jewellery and record the weight of each piece, they will be telling how much they are willing to give me for each piece.

But how do I know I'm not getting ripped off, like I go online check the market price per gram for each metal do my calculations and see if my calculations are any cloce to the offer given?

Mind sharing the name of local jewellery that have given you the best price? What you define as a good price (ratio: price given/ to price expected).
    If its X (14,18,22,24) karat gold, then most likely you will get a little below market price of gold per gram (USD 44.60 for 18K today). If its with gemstones, most likely you will get a little bit extra over market price per gram for the stones. Say the buyer may add 200 USD over the gold price if its filled with gemstones or diamonds.

The actual cost vs retail price (i am assuming you have bought it at retail) differs largely. For example, 10g of 18K yellow gold costs USD 446.00 today. You would have paid more than that to purchase the jewellery piece at retail price, unless of course you bought it when the gold price was very low.

To search for metal price per gram, just go on to google. Type "price of 18K gold per gram" or head over to kitco's website.

I come here to update you , I sold my jewellery plain metal no stones on it ( 97 percent of the spot price for the day for my 24k gold jewellery and 95 percent of the spot price for the day for my PT950 jewellery). I went to CHOW TAI FOOK where I bought the jewelleries originally and they offered me way lower was around 80-90 percent of the spot price for the day.

The shop that offered me the 97 percent and 95 percent was this refinery. So I ended up selling to them.

Sell To Us | SIC

For the jewellery with diamond I went back to the shop I bought it from and they offered me 85% of the price I bought if for.(I needed to bring the original receipt, thank god I still had it with me).

HSY, Elefant&Castle and z754103 like this.

Curious answer, - how do you know that the price of gold was the same when you bought it as when you sold it? If gold went up in the interim, you appear to have taken a possibly significant loss on the sale by accepting only 85% of the notional melt value?

And this was AFTER you discovered that you could sell your (melt) for 95% of the spot price! Surely you would have done better to pry the diamond out and throw it down some nearby drain?

BTW unless you buy it from the mine, No gold is ever 24 K. "24K" is a marketing term used by shady sellers to describe gold plate, - often accompanied by repeated overuse of the word "pure". Somewhere buried deep within the infomercial is always the hurried use of the word "CLAD".

Because I checked the history chart price online, the price back when I bought it and today price, and the price of gold increased. So I bought low and sold high, and I got 97% out of the spot price not 85%.

The diamond was another piece of jewellery, you don't sell diamonds for the spot price. You will take a loss on diamonds no matter who you sell to, diamonds are sh*t that loss 50% of their value once you step out the jewellery shop. They market to us diamonds as "diamonds are forever" because actually you will never be able to sell them that why they are forever . I'm lucky I got 85% out of the price I bought for. Usually people get 40-50%.Unless the diamond is some Tiffany 4 carats+ you will always take a loss.

Don't care much if the gold is a real 24k, my jewellery from chowtaifok with the stamp on it stated 999.9 as long as the potential buyer sees it as a 24k gold and I get offered the spot price for pure gold. I really don't care much if the gold is pure or mixed with copper or nickel to make it more malleable.

Last edited by Jalloner54; 15-06-2022 at 10:54 PM.

Curious that a jeweler didn't realise that what he was weighing couldn't actually be 24K!! Was he very young?

Kinda reminds me of the guy on Pawn Stars on tv who giggles nervously when he bases his valuations on 25% of the owner's valuation/asking price, - because he doesn't know what he is talking about!

Also, sorry, I misunderstood your posting: I thought you said you had your receipt so you knew that the price you were getting was some percentage of your "buy low" valuation, not your "sell high" valuation

Last edited by Ugo RIpanykazov; 15-06-2022 at 11:07 PM.