Like Tree26Likes

Carousell, fraud allegation and arbitrary banning

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I strongly believe that some the staff in these companies are out to destroy their employers.
    I think I have 3 accounts terminated on Facebook. One of them had a constant advertising spending.... Their real ID, is a pain and complex when an account has to be owned by a business. They expect you to put it under one staff/directors etc

Much sadder is that they cut our account/pages are for social benefit. A page we were using to form the policy for licensing and regulating electric unicycles in HK got cut in the process of cutting another account. As the communities are very spread we actually also used adverts to find our "members" with our proposals and get them to vote and collect views. Also lost other admin rights to other pages with 2000+ members which meant no one administered them and became spam feeds.

I think that there should be a legal process to make dominant social network platforms, to handle restitution complaints properly and justify why you are banned and have to be properly handled and responded to. Being excluded and banned, often for no valid reason, can reduce opportunities for business and society. It is harmful and can cripple legitimate businesses.

Open a new account they say..... After you have been banned your cookies device finger print are on their systems and often as soon as you join, give me your phone, email etc, they ban you again immediately, because they think you are trying to circumvents their security.

I have even reached out to friends that work in Facebook and they said nothing can be done.

My friend recently lost whatsapp account as he joined a "Oculus Dev Chat group", he was immediately banned. Facebook reported that there had been excessive complaints against his post.

Should these companies be able to marginalise people at random

Last edited by Fenix2; 31-05-2022 at 07:48 AM.
    Beanieskis and PKS_2000 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    I strongly believe that some the staff in these companies are out to destroy their employers.
    I think I have 3 accounts terminated on Facebook. One of them had a constant advertising spending.... Their real ID, is a pain and complex when an account has to be owned by a business. They expect you to put it under one staff/directors etc

Much sadder is that they cut our account/pages are for social benefit. A page we were using to form the policy for licensing and regulating electric unicycles in HK got cut in the process of cutting another account. As the communities are very spread we actually also used adverts to find our "members" with our proposals and get them to vote and collect views. Also lost other admin rights to other pages with 2000+ members which meant no one administered them and became spam feeds.

I think that there should be a legal process to make dominant social network platforms, to handle restitution complaints properly and justify why you are banned and have to be properly handled and responded to. Being excluded and banned, often for no valid reason, can reduce opportunities for business and society. It is harmful and can cripple legitimate businesses.

Open a new account they say..... After you have been banned your cookies device finger print are on their systems and often as soon as you join, give me your phone, email etc, they ban you again immediately, because they think you are trying to circumvents their security.

I have even reached out to friends that work in Facebook and they said nothing can be done.

My friend recently lost whatsapp account as he joined a "Oculus Dev Chat group", he was immediately banned. Facebook reported that there had been excessive complaints against his post.

Should these companies be able to marginalise people at random
    This is all so true and why I’m in the camp that governments need to regulate social media, in the same way they do traditional media. Obviously this has greater implications in some countries, but I don’t think they can self-regulate.
    Fenix2 and PKS_2000 like this.

This must be under some regulation so that they are answerable to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by PKS_2000:
    This must be under some regulation so that they are answerable to someone.
    In Hong Kong? Hardly world class consumer protection....
    PKS_2000 likes this.

Interesting mail from Carousell in December 2021. we submitted detail complaint (inferior / wrong product) with photo evidence and expert opinion (in chat). Carousell replied me to talk to user and settle outside as they can't do anything.
    I found their rules and procedure is deeply inconsistent.

Name:  C3 - Carousell response to original complaint.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  242.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    It is one of the biggest flaw in HK Capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    The current of the social networks being able to block legitimate business and access to buyers, is getting in the way of business.

HK Gov can do something about this, it is not incompatible with the current agendas.... It just as to be done right and that is another question.

It is resolved... With an intervention of Senior staff, Carousell looked into this matter. They found that there was no wrong doing. They reactivated the account. They were gracious enough to admit their mistake.

this is one of the rare gesture by a corporate to correct the mistake. We are happy.Name:  r1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  15.9 KB

Last edited by PKS_2000; 08-06-2022 at 09:41 PM.
    hike, Sith, TheBrit and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PKS_2000:
    It is resolved... With an intervention of Senior staff, Carousell looked into this matter. They found that there was no wrong doing. They reactivated the account. They were gracious enough to admit their mistake.

this is one of the rare gesture by a corporate to correct the mistake. We are happy.Name:  r1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  15.9 KB
    Very good news, glad you got this resolved.
    PKS_2000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    I just had my dog's instagram deactivated. Got a prompt to add a birthday so I added hers. She's Under 13 and the account got disabled. I've got 30days to proove we're over 13 but I don't think anyone reads my appeals. However, there's a number of hacker dudes on Twitter who would love to help me once I share my passport.
    Good news! Got an email from FB that they reactivated dog's account. Bad news I need to verify a/c with a code. It's been over 24 hours and still haven't received the code in my email/sms. Have checked spam folders.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3